Sign in to follow this  

Bureau of Reclamation closing "shore" access to OHV's @ Central Wyoming reserviors?

I'm assuming this is a nation-wide thing since the BuRec is a federal agency ...

Anyways, I was going to spend Memorial Day weekend out at Pathfinder Reservior near Casper and Rawlins WY today, as this is one of if not the only places the public can still (or so I thought) ride OHV's within probably 100 miles of Casper.

Needless to say, I and countless others have been riding 4-wheelers along the shores for decades ... Not on the private land surrounding the lake, just near the shorelines of the lake itself ...

This is probably the least "impactive" place you could possibly ride, due to fluctuating water levels, etc. ..

Anyways, today I noticed that you can no longer ride there. They have signs posted that states "No Off-Road Vehicles" then it lists Title 43, Section 420 of the "CFR" ... Code of Federal Regulations.

I understand what the "intent" was on this, but am I to take this to mean I can't drive my pickup down to the shore to fish from anymore either? If I am on a licensed street legal dirt bike, does that qualify as an "Off-Road Vehicle" ...?

I guess it isn't just Pathfinder, a friend told me that they'd done the same thing at Boysen Reservior, and I assume Seminoe is the same? I'll have to head down there to check it out.

Is this just related to Central Wyoming or has anyone else notice this popping up elsewhere?

I have some inside Reclamation knowledge , never heard of any Reclamation wide policy on this, my guess is it came out of the Wyoming area office in Mills Wy.

it probably came about because of some liability issue, just a guess

Edited by SuperDave

I'd think your licensed truck or a plated dual sport would still be legal. It says only OHV, not "No motorized travel" so from what I gather, your truck to fish is still legal etc. Man, in Wyoming, I figured you guys would be the last hit by greenies.

I'd think your licensed truck or a plated dual sport would still be legal. It says only OHV, not "No motorized travel" so from what I gather, your truck to fish is still legal etc. Man, in Wyoming, I figured you guys would be the last hit by greenies.

Not even close, it's been a battle there since I've been alive, if not longer.

Sign in to follow this