franken 50? Ideas please

So my son has a 05 crf50 which he is mostly outgrown, however he is still more of an amateur rider. Now most would just get a crf70 or xr80 or something along those lines. However he really likes his 50 and only wants to upgrade it. (make it taller) So I've been doing some looking and thinking, crf70 forks are selling for a premium and I'm not really wanting to fork over top dollar for chinese forks either. So the real question is what do you guys think of swapping on a set from say a cr80, rm65/80, kx60/65 etc. I would think getting the required machine work to the triple clamps wouldn't be that hard or overly complicated. forks for the rm/kx/cr can be gotten dirt cheap, and I would think better quality than chinese forks too.

Also the swingarm will need to be extended and raised to match.

So has anyone gone this route or have something similar or have any input as to issues that might arise during such a conversion?

Oh and the bike already has a tall seat and pro taper high bars. Just looking for some relatively cheap suspension ideas for now thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing as it's a crf 50 you can find a lot of adult/tall/heavyweight suspension, the thing is its going to cost a lot say $500 +- $50 so if thats out of the ball park, i would say, as long as ypu have a good machine shop, the Cr/Kx/Rm forks should do quite nicely. Or you can buy a Crf100... probably the easier route.

+1 forks are cheap, and a new longer shock can be found pretty cheap too.

I've thought about this option, . . . still considering it

Seeing as it's a crf 50 you can find a lot of adult/tall/heavyweight suspension, the thing is its going to cost a lot say $500 +- $50 so if thats out of the ball park, i would say, as long as ypu have a good machine shop, the Cr/Kx/Rm forks should do quite nicely. Or you can buy a Crf100... probably the easier route.

If I spend $500 +-50 I really don't want to install a bunch of chinese equipment on the bike. I would rather find some real Jap stuff that I can modify.

I'm also wanting to stay away from the adult/heavyweight suspension. I'm wanting something that won't beat the hell out of my son while he's riding. He's starting to jump a bit and I can see it's pretty brutal with the stock setup. The factory rear is a joke, and the forks aren't much better. I think I'll keep looking around at some of the jap bikes I mentioned and see what I can work out. Seems like someone around here (on TT) had a drz70 that they installed rm65 forks on, but that was a couple years back and I can't find much mention of it.

heck if your gunna spend 4 5 bones get your lil guy an older kx rm yz cr 80 or 85 let him smoke your yard out lol. there a dime a dozen, crf 50 wont deliver the power a growing boy needs to learn real clutch and throttle control. my 9 yo is ripping a 93 yz 125 he gets a little banged up at times but its a good learning experience for him.