Sign in to follow this  

Best CRF250R Year

Hello,

So i reallyyyyy like the 250's with duel exhaust (2006-2009) i think. Correct me if im wrong.

Is there any problems with any of these duel exhaust models?

During the times of the duel exhaust was there any "major" updates?

Edited by HondaRideRed

That generation of bikes tends to have valve problems The newer they are the valves are better. Look for an 08/07 because that was a great year bike. Ive heard alot of story's about the 09s not being that good. 2010s had crank problems and tHe 2011s seem well so far

I love my 09. I sent the head to crfheads.com when I did my top end rebuild and had them install copper valve seats and bronze exhaust guides. Im also using stock titanum intake valves. I checked the valves at about 5 hours as recommended by crfheads and they were .005L,.006R on the intakes and .012L, .011R on the exhaust. That was on March 22. Checked them yesterday and they were the same. I put about 3 hours a week on my bike on a motocross track. I dont live on the revlimiter but I do keep the rpm up and am not afraid to beat on my motor a little. It always starts within 4 kicks hot or cold.

One thing I did after hearing it recommended was to seal up the airbox between the boot and the box itself. Supposedly that is an area prone to allow dirt past the filter.

My engine mods are the crfheads head rebuild with copper seats and bronze guides. Ported with the stock cam and a 13.5-1 wiseco piston. It makes really good power. Got the jetting right and it starts easy and runs great. I could go on all day about this bike but I wont bore you. lol :smirk:

just for the record, I have '10 and haven't had any crank problems..it is a later model though...not one of the early ones. so far it has been bullet proof.....unfortunately, I haven't been ...lol

i had an 06 prior to my 2011, the 06 was a good bike, i always keep up on my maintenance and my valves so my valves lasted a long time,dont know how you ride but im not on the rev limiter non stop either though so that helps

I had the 07 and would say it was solid. However if I could do it again I would go to an 08.

i have an '06, with about 5 original hours on it! :smirk: my father in law bought it rode it once and parked it in the hangar...fantastic bike, jd jetting kit, full AP mod and it start 1st kick everytime! solid bike so far, valves are super easy to inspect and measure, takes about 20 mins to tear it down, measure and put it back together. my only complaint is the fuel petcock isnt on the tank, so it pisses fuel out until you get a bolt stuck in the hose. haha

09 seems to have been the best... google some reviews.. it was a pretty awesome bike. I had the 08 which was almost the same bar the combustion chamber change and it was one of the most impressive stock bikes i've ever ridden. I've seen some 2 ride old 09's for around $6k in melbourne. My 08 valves only lasted about 15 hours... so just get ready to put some $161usd faction intakes in it (got 200 hours)... or get CRF heads in the states to send you out a prebuilt head with exceldynes if you want the premium option.

just for the record, I have '10 and haven't had any crank problems..it is a later model though...not one of the early ones. so far it has been bullet proof.....unfortunately, I haven't been ...lol

I wish you the best of luck. I just hit 54 hrs on mine and it is a headache to get this thing back. i bought new crank, cylinder, piston, bearings and all. Now i have to replace oilpump and cases and more. but when that thing runs it runs better than any honda 250f ive ever rode. it is just so fun and fast.

gee this is intresting i have just pulled my whole motor apart to rebuild the crank i have a 2010 crf 250r about 60 hours on it, the bottem end bearing has sezied i have good oil and every done correct but yea just sezied up, i have to order parts on monday, do u have to replace the whole entire crank shaft or can u just get the big end bearing.

i have seen on alot of sites where u but the whole crank but i havn seen just the bearing to replace ?

We like our 2010. We also had the early crank failure but I'm thinking there must have been a bad batch of bearings or something. I've seen several go over 150 hours without failure and seen other fail short of 50. I replaced ours with a honda part because that's all that was available at the time. I just finished another rebuild with just over 70 hours on that crank/piston and the parts that came out looked practically new. I put a new head on it too because I'd been told that at 140 hours the guides, seats, and valves would all be worn out. Well, that wasn't the case either. Valve clearance had not changed from just after breakin and there was barely any slop in the guides. To make a long story short, the '10 seems to have the best valve set up yet, and unless you got a bad big end rod bearing the rest seems to hold up just fine too.

Fyi, my son is a B rider and this bike does 100% of it's time on the track.

gee this is intresting i have just pulled my whole motor apart to rebuild the crank i have a 2010 crf 250r about 60 hours on it, the bottem end bearing has sezied i have good oil and every done correct but yea just sezied up, i have to order parts on monday, do u have to replace the whole entire crank shaft or can u just get the big end bearing.

i have seen on alot of sites where u but the whole crank but i havn seen just the bearing to replace ?

I would get the whole crank. If you have time you can send out your failed crank and have crank works or another reputable shop replace the pin, bearing, and rod. Might not hurt to have it balanced too.

ok, yeah seems to be a big problem with the 2010 the cranks, but other than that i have not had a single problem with the bike.

I dont really have time as i have a race in just a couple of days so looks like ill be replacing the whole crank.

Cheers

i have an 06 and it runs fantastic. only problem i have ever had was that it has a bit of a bog when u go from no throttle to full throttle. but ive learnt to use the clutch which eliminates most of it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Kadensmith44
      I’m wanting to powder coat my bike but it’s all new to me. I’ve got a powder coater picked out that I’ve heard is good for what I’m doing. I’m not 100% what kind of sand blaster I need and what kind of media. I have also heard you can’t cook in the oven after you’ve baked your parts is that true?
    • By luke8500
      Hi all, 
      I have a 2004 honda crf250r and it wont start hot at all. The motor was just rebuilt with a new cylinder and piston. The valves were just adjusted. It will start cold in 1 or 2 kicks with choke but as soon as it gets hot it wont start. If you bump start it the motor will just turn over without starting.  sometimes it will start. It runs great until you shut it off.  im thinking its either a fuel issue or an electrical issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 
    • By SandSoldier
      Hello! This listing is for my 2007 Honda CRF250R dirt bike. Last winter I spun the rod bearing and just recently finished rebuilding it. Selling to fund new bike. I am currently the second owner.

Current registration valid until 2020, pink slip in hand.

Fresh parts:
      -top end kit: Wiseco; forged, moly skirt coated, 12.9:1 comp ratio (new wrist pin, gaskets, etc)
      -cylinder: new OEM
      -bottom end kit: Wiseco; (new bearings, seals, etc)
      -oil pump: new OEM
      -head studs & nuts: new OEM

-fresh oil and filter
      -all tolerances checked in top end
      -valves adjusted
      -carb adjusted

Note:
      *rebuild was done by my dad (master tech at CAT) and I (4th year mechanical engineering student)
      *has maybe 15 minutes on new parts, IT HAS NOT BEEN PROPERLY BROKEN IN YET
      *I have email receipts, pics of rebuild, and old parts as proof of rebuild, just ask and I'll show em off

Other parts:
      -90% tread on front and rear tires
      -excell takasago front wheel
      -custom aluminum skid plate
      -wrap around hand guards
      -spark arrestor
      -kickstand

Feel free to ask for any more specifics or pictures!

LOCAL PICK UP ONLY

Thanks!
    • By Matt Ray
      Okay so the title is a little vague. 
      So it was having trouble idling and even starting when I first bought it about a month ago for $2k. 
      So I did a rough clean of carb, looked up on YouTube, Forums, Etc on how to do it. I only cleaned jets with carb cleaner and sprayed around the float bowl area and such, so not too extensive.
      Did that and I took it out to a park, It would start up right away mostly, few kicks sometimes, but when I got it started, I had to keep the choke on. Right when I was ready to go fast and go up to 3rd and 4th gear I'd switch it off and it would work fine and sound fine and everything, but when I slowed back down and coasted around 1st gear i'd pop it back out again because it sounded like it was going to do. I have some videos if people would like me to link to them.

So after that I decided to take it apart and replace spark plug with OEM NGK R0409B-8, replace main jet from a old 170 to a new 170, replaced pilot jet from a old 40 to a new 42, and kept starter jet the same just made sure that wasn't clogged, ordered a new adjustable fuel screw and used that.
      and it was still having a little bit of problems! I just started up today and the day before today. It would run only with choke on, if i twisted throttle in neutral it sounded pretty good, no gun shot noises or anything, pretty smooth. 
      If I tried to take choke off it would die immediately. So I started it back up again, took around 6 kicks.. So again with choke on it sounded like it was starting to lose power and RPM's would drop so I'd twist throttle a few times and it would stay idling.. then after a small amount of time, start to sound like its about to die again... so I would rev it up again, and repeat..

Fuel line isn't clogged, flows fine.
      I tried fuel screw everywhere between 1 and 2 turns out..
      I checked valve clearances, and I'm no expert but from the videos I watched the slipped underneath intake and exhaust with only minor force.
      So I'm lost.. 
      Maybe float bowl is messed up? Should I just do a COMPLETE carb rebuild from videos I've seen on youtube, like this one -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AXb9UprT30? Or what? 

It's getting annoying taking it apart all the time, I jsut want it to start up quickly and run well!!

Thank you!

Austin, TX, Elevation 600ft, where I ride its around 900ft

• By Bryan Bosch
      WASHINGTON, D.C. – August 16, 2018 – (Motor Sports Newswire) –

Honda Recall Summary:
      Name of product: CRF250R Off-Road Motorcycles Hazard: The clutch outer can break, posing crash and injury hazards. Remedy: Repair Recall date: August 16, 2018 Units: About 3,200
      Consumer Contact: American Honda toll-free at 866-784-1870 from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. PT Monday through Friday or online at http://powersports.honda.com/ and click on “Recall Information” at the bottom of the page for more information.
      Honda Recall Details:
      Description: This recall involves all 2018 Model Year CRF250R off-road motorcycles. The recalled motorcycles were sold in a red color. The names “HONDA” and “CRF250R” are printed on the sides of the motorcycle. The model name and model year are printed on a name plate label located at the front right top of the frame, near the steering head.
      Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled off-road motorcycles and contact their local authorized Honda Powersports dealer to schedule an appointment for a free repair. Honda is contacting all known purchasers directly.
      Incidents/Injuries: American Honda has received 19 reports of clutch failure, including two that led to engine lock up. No crashes or injuries reported.
      Sold At: Authorized Honda Powersports dealers nationwide from November 2017 through July 2018 for about $8,000.
      Manufacturer(s): American Honda Motor Company Inc., of Torrance, Calif. Manufactured In: Japan Recall number: 18-759 This recall was conducted, voluntarily by the company, under CPSC’s Fast Track Recall process. Fast Track recalls are initiated by firms, who commit to work with CPSC to quickly announce the recall and remedy to protect consumers.
      The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is charged with protecting the public from unreasonable risks of injury or death associated with the use of thousands of types of consumer products under the agency’s jurisdiction. Deaths, injuries, and property damage from consumer product incidents cost the nation more than $1 trillion annually. CPSC is committed to protecting consumers and families from products that pose a fire, electrical, chemical or mechanical hazard. CPSC’s work to help ensure the safety of consumer products – such as toys, cribs, power tools, cigarette lighters and household chemicals -– contributed to a decline in the rate of deaths and injuries associated with consumer products over the past 40 years.
      Federal law bars any person from selling products subject to a publicly-announced voluntary recall by a manufacturer or a mandatory recall ordered by the Commission.
      Source: Consumer Product Safety Commission