Hard to start when cold

My buddy just bought a '03 CRF450R. The guy just had it rebuilt and has new SS valves. It is very hard to start when it's cold. And also, doesn't quite have the compression that my WR has (I mean that it is easier to kick over).

We have tried all the recommended starting procedures for this bike, and it takes at least 50-75 kicks to get it started when it's cold. Once you get it started, or warmed up it's really easy to start.

Does this sound like a valve issue or maybe something with the carb? I'd hate to have to check valves if there is somewhere I should start looking first.

Clean the carb, make sure the choke works, adjust the fuel screw. Checking the valves is super easy, takes 15 minutes and should be done anyways...

15 min, really? Looked like he would have to pull the motor to do this. Nice to know

15 min, really? Looked like he would have to pull the motor to do this. Nice to know

Nope, pull seat, gas tank, spark plug, valve cover, crank cover (big round plug in front of rear break pedal) and set the motor to TDC of the compression stroke and check the valves. I did it Sunday, took 5 minutes but I already had the tank off.