Sign in to follow this  

Hard start...why?

03 xr 70 has a hard time starting. I have to put the full choke on and kick it a couple of times, reving the gas every time. When I get it to crank I have to hold it at half throttle for 5 min before turning the choke off. When it warms up it runs good.

You could also check your valve adjustments (.002"-intake and .003"-exhaust), and stop twisting the throttle when trying to start it. All you're doing is dumping more unburned fuel into the cylinder every time you twist it and it doesn't fire, flooding it.

I rebuilt the bike from the ground up. Carb is clean, new air filter, new spark plug...but, I put bigger lines and a fuel filter in. that might be the problem. I need to check the valves though. Also a new problem when I ride it for long periods of time it acts like its not getting fuel. It cutts out till the bowl fills up. I think that is a different problem though.

I rebuilt the bike from the ground up. Carb is clean, new air filter, new spark plug...but, I put bigger lines and a fuel filter in. that might be the problem. I need to check the valves though. Also a new problem when I ride it for long periods of time it acts like its not getting fuel. It cutts out till the bowl fills up. I think that is a different problem though.

may sound stupid but, is your fuel filter in backwards? could be restricting flow

I figured it out. The cutting out was the in line fuel filter had a lot of air in it. The idle problem was the valves being way to loose. It runs great and starts on first kick!