Sign in to follow this  

WR250 or WR300 Going back to the smokers

I currently have a 07 tc510, great bike and I have a lot of fun on it but I'm going to sell it and get a new bike.

I've read hear a little bit and it looks like the WR300 has a hard hit when it hit's the power band but how's the low end grunt? How about the WR250? same question, hard hit? low end grunt? I don't expect these bikes to have the same grunt as my 510 but I'm sure the bike is way better in the tight single track. It's the hard hit that I'm concerned with, I've noticed when riding with friends on Yami's and other smokers that that 2 stroke hit can be a disadvantage, like on a hill climb it hits, spins the tire and you loose momentum. Also considering a KTM but really want to stick with a Husqvarna. How about the suspension? Is it good out of the box? hard or is it soft? I took forks off a TE and put them on my TC and it's so plush when the TC forks where way to hard.

Give me your opinion's

I have a 2010 wr300 which I mainly ride on tight forest single trails with lots of steep rocky climbs over tree roots etc. I find it great with loads of bottom end torque/grunt. I did just fit the race head which has given it even more, just wind the throttle open and climb any hill. I had a 450 before this and there is a different technique to getting up hills snotty stuff but once you get the hang of it there is no problem.

What I would say is that it isn't great for fast firetrails, gravel roads, etc they are only 5 speed and soon run out of legs. I know you could gear it up but that would change low speed hill climbing. One of the main things I notice is the weight or lack of it.

Being able to lift it out of bogs or when you have dropped it the wrong way down a hill is a real bonus. Suspension is good but feels a little soft when you start riding it harder or jumping higher. I am certain you could get it sorted easily if you went to a suspension tuner.

It's probably worth getting a test ride if you can, there will be a huge difference between your 510 a 300 but don't let that put you off the 300 is a fantastic machine especially for the money. Friends have the KTM300's which I'm not sure are any better other than having the E start but again they have all had trouble with the starter motors and spent lots of money repairing them.

Thank you, I was hoping the suspension was on the soft side, the stiff suspension was what I hated about my 510 but with the te forks the bike is way more fun. I find I really use a lot of clutch in the tight single track and rock step up's on the 510, it stalls real easy so your constantly on the clutch. I'm OK with the 5 speed, a 6th gear would be nice but I normally back off when I hit the wide open roads so I can rest up for the next tight section. I connect trails using very little skid trails or roads.

My 300 has a very smooth powerband, it doesn't hit like the regular mx bikes. Just like the other dude said, the suspension can be a little soft at first. I've noticed mine gets pretty rigid once it heats up. After riding my WR, I think I will stick with Huskies as long as they make smokers.

• Like 1

My 300 has a very smooth powerband, it doesn't hit like the regular mx bikes. Just like the other dude said, the suspension can be a little soft at first. I've noticed mine gets pretty rigid once it heats up. After riding my WR, I think I will stick with Huskies as long as they make smokers.

Have the husky smokers been updated since BMW took over?

There is also the gas gas 300,never rode one but I hear they are good

I cant say enough about my ktm 200 but I think after getting off the 510 torque monster you might be disappointed ....good luck!

After racing a CR 125 for 2 years i purchased a used 2006 WR 250 cheap to see if i liked Well after 1 year and a few wins in the over 50 A and a National # 2 plate i can say a 250 is more then enought for any place.I have done all the westeren Nationals which are 10 races in 4 different states with everything from sand down by Mexico to single track in the trees of Idaho and Utha I also have a 510 and in the tight the 250 will never stall no matter what Last weeken i did 100 miles in the trees of Utha and never stalled it

I am working on a 300 just because but if it was a 250 that would be fine with me

I have a friend selling a perfect shape really clean 2006 WR 250 for only 2100 the bike is in Temecula and is also listed over at www.cafehusky.com or www.district37ama.org

if you want to see pictures If you are in so calif you can ride my WR250

Usually high gear on a 5 or 6 speed are close to same ratio. The other gears are spaced a bit wider. So top speed is close to same.

A 6-speed Husky tranny is not a 5-speed with a 6th overdrive gear ... a 6 speed has a lower slightly lower 1st gear and 6th is slightly higher than 5th on a 5-speed ... Then you have the other 4 gears stacked in there in CR fashion ... I read once where Husky intended 1-5th OR 2-6th to be used when racing\riding...

Of course now many don't like the top-end speed but the ratios are really about perfect for the dirt and if not, add a tooth to the front sprocket and the tranny will open up and feel much more like a 5-speed ..

Not really any bmw changes to the 2t machines that stand out ... maybe some forks changes but I'm not sure on that ...

I think after getting off the 510 torque monster you might be disappointed ....good luck!

It does have a lot of torque but but it's also alot of work keeping up with my friends on the smokers and they flame out so easy. I've got my 510 jetted perfict so it starts right up but still.

I have a friend selling a perfect shape really clean 2006 WR 250 for only 2100 the bike is in Temecula and is also listed over at www.cafehusky.com or www.district37ama.org

I saw that over the weekend, nice bike but I live in NorCal, Willits. I hate driving down there:banghead:

I wonder since the bike has lights on it, will the stator on these bikes also handle grip warmers?

A 6-speed Husky tranny is not a 5-speed with a 6th overdrive gear ... a 6 speed has a lower slightly lower 1st gear and 6th is slightly higher than 5th on a 5-speed ... Then you have the other 4 gears stacked in there in CR fashion ... I read once where Husky intended 1-5th OR 2-6th to be used when racing\riding... QUOTE]

Thats why I'm not in to the 449, I had a 07 Te450 and it sucked on the rd, if I was going to get a plated enduro I would get a KTM, much better gear ratios.

It does have a lot of torque but but it's also alot of work keeping up with my friends on the smokers and they flame out so easy. I've got my 510 jetted perfict so it starts right up but still.

I saw that over the weekend, nice bike but I live in NorCal, Willits. I hate driving down there:banghead:

I wonder since the bike has lights on it, will the stator on these bikes also handle grip warmers?

Give the guy a call not many Husky 2 strokes out there and even fewer for sale Like i said i have a 2006 which is really the same as a new one

The owner son is in the navy based in san Fransisco so maybe he might be able to deliver it

Give the guy a call not many Husky 2 strokes out there and even fewer for sale Like i said i have a 2006 which is really the same as a new one

The owner son is in the navy based in san Fransisco so maybe he might be able to deliver it

:smirk: I'll give him a call

Calld him, nice guy.

His son was thinking of going into the Navy but not till Sept. Bummer, nice bike and a great deal but that's way to far for me to drive.

Just a thought...the worcs series will be in Taft on June 11 and 12th. I would put out a call to see if anyone is driving up from so cal. I think some of the Temacula Shops have sponsored riders in the series. It is worth a shot and some gas money for someone to load and bring bike up with them. Zip Ty Racing is a Husky team that is one hour from Temecula. They are great guys and would maybe help.

Edited by Tugsy

After racing a CR 125 for 2 years i purchased a used 2006 WR 250 cheap to see if i liked Well after 1 year and a few wins in the over 50 A and a National # 2 plate i can say a 250 is more then enought for any place.I have done all the westeren Nationals which are 10 races in 4 different states with everything from sand down by Mexico to single track in the trees of Idaho and Utha I also have a 510 and in the tight the 250 will never stall no matter what Last weeken i did 100 miles in the trees of Utha and never stalled it

I am working on a 300 just because but if it was a 250 that would be fine with me

Your on a WR 250 now? After all the success you have had on the 125.:ride:

Your on a WR 250 now? After all the success you have had on the 125.:ride:

I got my 300 this weeken and rode it over 100 miles .what a nice well balanced bike set up by Zip Ty Racing i really do not think i will be racing the 125 any more