Oil Leak at Flywheel Nut Cover

Hi Guys,

I am just getting my bike back running after a seizure and have an oil leak from the flywheel nut cover. The oil just seeps out at idle and increases with engine rpm. I have replaced the o-ring and cover, tried two o-rings, and some rtv on the threads with no luck. The magneto cover does not appear to have any cracks. Any ideas are appreciated. I rebuilt the motor with the athena 490cc big bore and am anxious to get out and ride.

IMG_6739.jpg

Wow. Thats a tough one bro. .:smirk:

Maybe just form a gasket for now. Really don't need to open it till valve adjust. I know it's redneck shade tree but atleast you can start breaking in that piston and rings

Sounds like you may have cross theaded that bad puppy.:smirk:

Hi Guys,

I am just getting my bike back running after a seizure and have an oil leak from the flywheel nut cover. The oil just seeps out at idle and increases with engine rpm. I have replaced the o-ring and cover, tried two o-rings, and some rtv on the threads with no luck. The magneto cover does not appear to have any cracks. Any ideas are appreciated. I rebuilt the motor with the athena 490cc big bore and am anxious to get out and ride.

IMG_6739.jpg

It looks like there is damage to the case, below the cover, at about 4 o'clock, that might be a crack....

Just curious - what caused the seizure in the first place?

Just curious - what caused the seizure in the first place?

Check this thread.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=960189&highlight=engine+seized

Seems I am the only one that has had a catastrophic engine failure w/o a clear explanation. It took me a couple months to piece the engine back together. I tried more RTV around the threads and at the base of the o-ring and it appears to be holding after a short ride yesterday. I have spent so much $ on the engine I guess I will be purchasing a new magneto cover if this does not hold.

Check this thread.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=960189&highlight=engine+seized

Seems I am the only one that has had a catastrophic engine failure w/o a clear explanation. It took me a couple months to piece the engine back together. I tried more RTV around the threads and at the base of the o-ring and it appears to be holding after a short ride yesterday. I have spent so much $ on the engine I guess I will be purchasing a new magneto cover if this does not hold.

Sounds like a possibly warped cover??? I'd hate to know what a new one would cost but you should be able to find out if it's "true" if you can find a true plane to test it on.