Sign in to follow this  

I want KTM back brakes

My bike is down for parts at the moment and a friend let me borrow his 2010 300 XC for a race yesterday. Originally I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to go back after sipping the Kool Aid. The bike was good but I actually missed my 05 YZ 250 more often than not. I have a Honda mc and calipers on front so I have no complaints there but I'd really like a Brembo set up on the back after riding the 3 hunny. Has anyone put a Brembo on theirs? What's involved as far as machining a bracket? Is this an expense not worth visiting? If all else fails I'll at least go for an over-sized rear rotor. I seemed to be able to maneuver the tight and semi-tight stuff better with stronger rears as opposed to using 95% fronts for everything.

Thanks,

Tim

Raise the level of your brake pedal. Really.

The super cheap brake pads at Rock Mountain are grabbier.

I brake slide all the time.

Make sure your brake clevis is free of any slop, new pads, de-glaze your rotor and get a good bleed.

I've done all the mods mentioned to my 06 yz 250 rear brakes. They really suck. The mods helped, btu I woudl try anythign else if possible.

What about fitting an 01 caliper and caliper carrier to your bike? I think it should bolt right on and the brake pads are a good amount longer.

What do you all not like about the yz brakes? I find there only seems to be an on or off. They just seem to lock up if I touch them, not much else in between.

Better brake pads and SS line. The stock rubber line is mushy. The loose Yamaha clevis sucks compaired to the KTM rod end.

What do you all not like about the yz brakes? I find there only seems to be an on or off. They just seem to lock up if I touch them, not much else in between.

Same complaint here..on or off with nothing in between.

If all else fails I'll at least go for an over-sized rear rotor.

KTM rear rotors are smaller in dia that late model YZ rotors.

Im curious as i have a blown husqvarna with brembos in the shed they were pretty good brakes if i remember rightly :smirk:

KTM rear rotors are smaller in dia that late model YZ rotors.

If this is true, I think it goes a long way in explaining why there would be better modulation in the rear... A shorter lever arm would have a harder time locking up the rear.

I also struggle with my yz rear brake on really hard surfaces.

If this is true, I think it goes a long way in explaining why there would be better modulation in the rear... A shorter lever arm would have a harder time locking up the rear.

I also struggle with my yz rear brake on really hard surfaces.

KTM has kept the same rear rotor diameter since at least 1990, concidently the smaller 88-97 yz250 rear rotors are the same dia as KTM.

Same complaint here..on or off with nothing in between.

My KTMs were that way until i had the rotor pretty worn. My YZ is MUCH easier by comparision. :smirk: I have to stomp the pedal to brake slide.

Three easy fixes-

Run organic pads.

Bust the bleeder loose and give a TINY squirt of fluid then retighten. The little air bubble will give easier modulation. Yes i'm serious. I've done it on a couple of light switch braked bikes.

Take a file to your pads and make some cross cuts.

After wearing out the stock rotor, I went to a solid rotor and brake is more progressive. Solid rotor seems to triple pad life. I use both EBC MXS and Red (don't recall the letters) depending on conditions. I have a KTM too. I think both are similar in the rear when using the solid disk. KTM is much better in the front.

I have a 2005 525 and a 2001 yz 250 the yamaha breaks are better. The back on the 525 overheats (both the pad a roter is smaller). The 525 front is spongy and needs to be blead often. The yamaha works great all the time with no maintenance. I did do the 05 yamaha old honda style reroute of the front break line and improved the yamaha front alot.

I ordered a Galfer rear wavy rotor and a Zeta clevis. Maybe this combination will improve the feel and modulation.

Tim

The good clevis helps as the linkage has a lot of play in it. I did not notice anything from the Galfer wave rotor, though.

The good clevis helps as the linkage has a lot of play in it. I did not notice anything from the Galfer wave rotor, though.

I wonder if the Moose solid rotor would have a noticeable improvement?

I replaced the lines with the braided steel lines and found them to make a big difference. Absolutely crisper/sharper. I find them easier to modulate as well.