1980 CR250R gearing

New member here with an old bike. I have a 1980 CR250 that I picked up and redid, almost every wear part was worn out and replaced. When I redid everything I just put on a standard 49t rear sprocket and it has a 14t front. I use the bike quite a bit for trail riding, not really its favorite, and would like to get a larger rear sprocket. About the only company that makes non factory size sprockets for the old beast that I have found is PBI, they make 47t up to 60t sprockets. So the question is what size sprocket should I get, I am pretty much a 300lb gorilla and was noticing that Honda shipped the later CR250's with 54t sprockets in back so I was thinking 54-56t but really don't know. I will be keeping the 49t sprocket for trips to the dunes :smirk:

Thanks in advance

Nathan

New member here with an old bike. I have a 1980 CR250 that I picked up and redid, almost every wear part was worn out and replaced. When I redid everything I just put on a standard 49t rear sprocket and it has a 14t front. I use the bike quite a bit for trail riding, not really its favorite, and would like to get a larger rear sprocket. About the only company that makes non factory size sprockets for the old beast that I have found is PBI, they make 47t up to 60t sprockets. So the question is what size sprocket should I get, I am pretty much a 300lb gorilla and was noticing that Honda shipped the later CR250's with 54t sprockets in back so I was thinking 54-56t but really don't know. I will be keeping the 49t sprocket for trips to the dunes :smirk:

Thanks in advance

Nathan

Can you get a 13 tooth for the front? That would be similar to putting a 52 on the back.

Yeah you can get down to a 12 I think, that would definitely be cheaper.

Ended up ordering a 12 and 13 tooth front sprockets, they were in yesterday but I will have to wait until Tuesday to pick them up, I think I will start with the 12 tooth sprocket and see how it climbs hills with that.