Sign in to follow this  

02 yz250 or 05 crf250r

Hi im 6 foot 2 230lbs I sold my 06 crf230f and have my eyes

On these 2 bikes the yz is in good shape and only riden

About 5 times a summer hes asking 2100 but I would over him 1800 being thats around the price there going for around here for that year, the crf250r aslo looks likes its in good shape from the pics and I am going to lool at it tomorrow hes asking 2200 but I would offer him 2ooo, I ride 90 percent woods 10 percent track was wondering what u guys have to say, im leaning towards the honda being its 3 years newer, please offer ur thoughts, thanks

Well, I'm no dirt bike genius but I'll throw in my two cents :smirk:

I personally would say go with the yz250.

Reason being is the newer 250r four strokes, require more maintenance and usually more expensive maintenance then the two strokes. Valve adjustments, oil filters, oil changes, ect. Also, many more moving parts in a four stroke, usually a higher chance of something breaking, and the parts tend to be more costly.

The yz 250 2 stroke, is going to offer you way more power than the 250r four stroke. Two strokes are a breeze to work on.. and fairly cheap to work on.

I personally cant tell you whats more enjoyable to ride, because I have minimal dirt bike experience.. I plan to buy one this summer though :smirk:

Well, I'm no dirt bike genius but I'll throw in my two cents :smirk:

I personally would say go with the yz250.

Reason being is the newer 250r four strokes, require more maintenance and usually more expensive maintenance then the two strokes. Valve adjustments, oil filters, oil changes, ect. Also, many more moving parts in a four stroke, usually a higher chance of something breaking, and the parts tend to be more costly.

The yz 250 2 stroke, is going to offer you way more power than the 250r four stroke. Two strokes are a breeze to work on.. and fairly cheap to work on.

I personally cant tell you whats more enjoyable to ride, because I have minimal dirt bike experience.. I plan to buy one this summer though :prof:

Lemme get this straight, you have minimal experience yet you say he should get the smoker?

Right, coz four strokes are bad and stuff. :smirk:

Lemme get this straight, you have minimal experience yet you say he should get the smoker?

Right, coz four strokes are bad and stuff. :smirk:

He wanted opinions, I gave my opinion. No where did I say four strokes are bad, I said they require more maintenance and the maintenance is also more costly.

He wanted opinions, I gave my opinion. No where did I say four strokes are bad, I said they require more maintenance and the maintenance is also more costly.

Based on what you've read so far then?

I've owned both. Maintenance is not an issue with either bike provided you're not racing them every weekend.

Based on what you've read so far then?

I've owned both. Maintenance is not an issue with either bike provided you're not racing them every weekend.

Alright, so instead of flaming on me, how bout cha give the guy some useful info :smirk:? And when you say maintenance is not an issue, your saying that on a race bike, valve adjustments, and oil changes are of no importance? Racing or not, maintenance needs to be done.

Alright, so instead of flaming on me, how bout cha give the guy some useful info :smirk:? And when you say maintenance is not an issue, your saying that on a race bike, valve adjustments, and oil changes are of no importance? Racing or not, maintenance needs to be done.

Valve adjustments, for me anyways riding on trails, consists of a once a year check. I check them at end of season. One intake has moved one-thousandth. OK, no problem. Will check again end of this season. Valve adjustment/checks may be more frequent on other brands but I bought a Yamaha to take advantage of its durability. My cousin races Honda four strokes and blows them up fairly regularly whereas my riding buddy rides a Honda in the woods and has zero issues.

Oil changes? I change it out about every 12 hours and then pop in a new filter every other change. Don't let the hype fool you. If you aren't racing these things your maintenance need not follow what's prescribed in the manual.

Maintenance also needs to be done to a two stroke but really what I find between both types is that other wear items need replacement besides/before the motor. Riding off road destroys chains, wheel bearings, tires, plastics, headers/expansion chambers, radiators, linkage bearings, fork seals, brake rotors/pads, head tube bearings, etc. Motor type has nothing to do with that.

Thanks im not to worried about the maitence its not to tricky to do, I looked at tope emd repacemenys there not to far apart price range only think real differmt is the valves, is there anything bad with o2 yzs ? Anything In particular I should watch for when I look at the crf tomorrow ?

take ignition cover off of YZ. grab hold of crank. there should not be up/down play. if so, it needs to be replaced. nothing wrong with either bike but I'd check the valves for clearances on CRF just so you know his maintenance commitment.

Just from what you have said about these bike I would keep looking - there are tons of great deals, but you must look hard.

BTW - I would say the yz250 too - most 250f's I see in the $2k range are beaters. Nice ones are $3300+.

yeah the 02 sold and i decided to not get the 4storke and keep looking for a smoker found a 2007 yz250 on craigslist tonight so as long as he has the title im gunna go look at it tomorow and if its nice shape, im gunna buy it for that year thats a steel around here, is there a specific letter combo in the vin for the year produced just wana double check to make sure when i look at the bike tomorow it is a 07 thanks for the help

10th digit back from the end should be a 7 if its infact a 2007. I see people all the time on craigslist listing bikes as newer years then they are. Have seen a few steel frame yz's listed as 05+ which were alum frames, and some clearly mid 90's RM's listed as 03+. Do not buy a used 250f unless you're spending 3-3500 on an 09 or 10, anything older then that I would not touch as you do not know the history, and if the valves let go its going to be worth more in parts. For a weekend warrior, two stroke for the win.