KX80/KX100 Cylinder

Last year we had a failure of the air filter on my son's 1998 KX80. There is enough scoring in the cylinder at the exhaust port to limit the compression to 120 psi (was 160 the year before) with new piston and rings. I need a new cylinder, but I wanted to check my options.

Q1: Can a 1998 KX80 cylinder be sleeved without too much cost, or is it better to just get a new cylinder? (Any sources for this?)

Q2: For some reason I got the impression that the only difference between a KX80 and KX100 was the cylinder and piston. Is this true, and if so, does that mean I could put a KX100 cylinder and piston onto the KX80 without too much other hassle? (The frame is the right size for him, but he could use a little more engine.)

Last year we had a failure of the air filter on my son's 1998 KX80. There is enough scoring in the cylinder at the exhaust port to limit the compression to 120 psi (was 160 the year before) with new piston and rings. I need a new cylinder, but I wanted to check my options.

Q1: Can a 1998 KX80 cylinder be sleeved without too much cost, or is it better to just get a new cylinder? (Any sources for this?)

Q2: For some reason I got the impression that the only difference between a KX80 and KX100 was the cylinder and piston. Is this true, and if so, does that mean I could put a KX100 cylinder and piston onto the KX80 without too much other hassle? (The frame is the right size for him, but he could use a little more engine.)

1. yes it can be sleeved which is not ideal, you could get a new cylinder but thats a lot of money. i would have it replated, its the best thing you can do, and probably the cheapest.

http://mt-llc.com/

2. and head, head gasket, and powervalve. otherwise, yes they are the same, they can be interchanged onto the bottom end.

Edited by hi_im_sean