Sign in to follow this  

Yz125 or ktm150sx

I am looking to get a 125 2t to play with on the mx track. I currently have a crf450r so the 125 is just to help me get better at carrying speed plus they are fun to beat on. Should I get a Yz125 or Ktm150. I was originally thinking a YZ125 then if I really liked the bike I would have Eric Gorr build me a 144 kit for it. However the KTM is already designed to be a 144 is KTM so is it any better then 144 YZ. I may race once or twice in the 250 class. Will the 150 keep up with a 250f accelerating down hard pack straits? I don't have any experience with ktm's are they reliable bikes. I would buy both bikes used so my top is $2000. How does a 02-04 compare to an 05+. The price between the years jumps easily $500-$1000.

Get the 150 if you can. I read a review that tested a 150sx vs a kx250f and the 150 put down more power. The yz125 with a 144 kit is also a great bike, but the 150 would be a bit better.

I have been looking for a 150 i can't seem to find any used. Ktm must not have sold very many or nobody wants to get ride of them. When did they come out?

What is a used one going for?

I think it's both, KTM didn't produce very many, and those that have one don't want to get rid of it. For your price range, a YZ will be your best bet.

I'm contemplating a new 150 sx for my daughter. Everyone harps on how high KTM's are yet every KTM dealer has shot me a lower price for a new 150 than a YZ 125

I'm contemplating a new 150 sx for my daughter. Everyone harps on how high KTM's are yet every KTM dealer has shot me a lower price for a new 150 than a YZ 125

yep, and its newer technology. The same goes for yz250 vs 250sx

Honestly, your not going to be able to find a KTM 150. I've been looking for a long while. I can barely find aluminum framed YZ 125s for under 2000 and the first year for the aluminum frame was 05! And for the KTM most people want a little under 2000 for like 04 125s. But this website should help: http://www.bikefinds.com/

yep, and its newer technology. The same goes for yz250 vs 250sx

Newer "technology" or better parts? I can't really think of anything on a ktm 150sx that would be classified as newer tech? They have plenty of better grade parts but nothing that hasn't been around for a long time.

Newer "technology" or better parts? I can't really think of anything on a ktm 150sx that would be classified as newer tech? They have plenty of better grade parts but nothing that hasn't been around for a long time.

newer suspension, newer head designs, newer porting engineering, better engineered wheels.... Im not saying they invented something new..... Better parts because it is more technologically advanced :smirk:

For 2k you might be able to find a 05' Yz or sx. 05 and newer is what I'd want because both bikes got much better in 05', Sx and Yz both got new frames in 05'. I owned both yzs and sx's and trust me you want 05 or newer 06 if you can afford one, this goes for both the Yz and sx.

For closer to 3k you could probly get a 144sx.

Edited by TommyB 754

I guess I will keep looking. I am in rush just hope to have it by fall for the indoor season.