crf250r head questions

Hey guys,

Me and a buddy are in the process of doing a top end on my 08 crf250 and we noticed the valves are really worn. So i ordered new valves but my question is do I need to have the seats cut. Also the exhaust valves seem really loose in the head, could it need guides already??

Thanks for any help

Yes and Yes. If you dont get it machined by someone who knows what there doing your new valves will be junk in no time. And you cannot lap titanium valves it wrecks the coating.

Do you know somewhere I can send my head to have the seats cut?

Check Ebay..theres a shop that has a buy it now for CRF valve seat cutting. Its like 80 bucks or something like that.

crfheads.com. One of the best. Thats where I sent mine. It was $600 for a complete rebuild.

crfheads.com. One of the best. Thats where I sent mine. It was $600 for a complete rebuild.

I have been looking at these guys myself. So you have been happy with the rebuild? Which exhaust valves did you go with-I see they offer the Kibblewhite or the Faction nitrided. Any big difference? Whats your reccomendation?

I got my head back from crfheads.com about three weeks ago. So far so good. I went with the copper beryllium seats and new Ti valves. I prob have about 10 hours seat time in... 4 hours from heavy muddy hare scrambles. I've checked the valves a few times and they haven't moved. The bike is back to starting up in just a few kicks. I'll review the work after I've had them on for 50+ hours.

I got my head back from crfheads.com about three weeks ago. So far so good. I went with the copper beryllium seats and new Ti valves. I prob have about 10 hours seat time in... 4 hours from heavy muddy hare scrambles. I've checked the valves a few times and they haven't moved. The bike is back to starting up in just a few kicks. I'll review the work after I've had them on for 50+ hours.
On their website, they say titanium intakes, and Kibblewhite or Faction nitrided exhausts-that is what I was asking-which exhaust valves did you go with?. Sorry for the confusion. My top end is still factory, and I am getting ready to change out the piston, so I figured might as well do the head while I have it apart. Not like I have money to burn, but would rather address it now. Probably have 40+ hours on it.

My experience is pretty much the same. Checked valves after about 5 hours as recommended by crfheads. Then checked them again about 2 months later. They have not moved. I ride mainly motocross. Probably getting close to 30 hours since rebuild. Looked at my receipt and looks like he used the Faction nitrided exhaust valves. I never specified what I wanted for exhaust valves I just told him to use what he thought was best. For the intakes I specified the OE honda valves because he claims that switching to stainless intakes drops the horsepower by about 1.5 to 2. Not something that I want to give up. My riding style is not on the revlimiter constantly but I do like to keep the rpm up to stay in the higher HP of the engine. So I do beat on it a little bit.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like these are the guys to go with. Wow, 1.5-2 hp loss? That is considerable. I wouldnt want to give that up either, and I dont even ride motocross. But I do keep the RPM's up as well. I would imagine the nitride coating helps to resist galling.