2000 XR200 mid-throttle not clearing out

hi just picked up a really clean 2000 XR2 and while it ran fine when i test rode it in a parking lot, now that its home and im doing all the general maintenance stuff (adj cables, changing oil, etc), i took it for a spin and while it starts with one or two kicks, the mid-throttle is rough and basically not even firing correctly, missing etc. lots of black smoke and no power (almost feels like its gonna die) and it just sounds horrible. checked the plug and its black and sooty but not wet.

the bike is all stock, with the exception of a FMF powercore 4.

pulled the carb and its super clean. checked the jets, they are 102m and 35p. needle setting is 3rd notch. im basically at sea level so no need for smaller jet. doing some reading i should be at 110 (ca bike) on the main jet correct? apart from the main jet being incorrect, i am thinking it would cause all of this pain?

i have not checked the timing but does this sound like the teeth on the timing chain may have jumped a tooth? does this do any sort of damage to the head/valves??

anyway, any help highly appreciated.

thanks!

andy

The 102 main was used in the early twin shock XR200 carb. Post the model number of the carb and I'll check my Clymer manual for jet numbers; PD32, PD97, etc. Or check post 234 on the last page of the "Modification Guide" (first sticky).

thanks chuck! i have PD97B carb which in one of your last posts in the modification guide thread is listed as:

"1998: CA model carb (PD97B) with 102 main jet & 35 pilot, 49 state carb unchanged."

ive been doing a bunch of searches and found someone having the same issues as im having and it turned out to the be the needle?

is it normal to have a bit of wiggle play in the needle when its in the slide and the clip is in?

thanks again!

andy

The 102 main was used in the early twin shock XR200 carb. Post the model number of the carb and I'll check my Clymer manual for jet numbers; PD32, PD97, etc. Or check post 234 on the last page of the "Modification Guide" (first sticky).