Sign in to follow this  

2010 250xc or 2011 250xc

11 is $8000 the 10 is $6400

are the changes between these bikes worth the extra money? frame and suspension being the big factors from what i have read.

11 is $8000 the 10 is $6400

are the changes between these bikes worth the extra money? frame and suspension being the big factors from what i have read.

if the changes are as prominent as the changes that began in 07, then many would say YES.

I would see how much less you can get the 11 for.

It really depends on whether you can afford it, or want to afford it.

if the changes are as prominent as the changes that began in 07, then many would say YES.

I would see how much less you can get the 11 for.

It really depends on whether you can afford it, or want to afford it.

by that you mean the wifes reaction right? :smirk:

i'm going to call them and find out what i can get the 11 for and go from there, but i have talked to a lot of dealers recently and they are not willing to go down much at all.

by that you mean the wifes reaction right? :smirk:

i'm going to call them and find out what i can get the 11 for and go from there, but i have talked to a lot of dealers recently and they are not willing to go down much at all.

haha, I know how that is.....

If you haven't joined ktmtalk, do so and use the get a quote option to see if you can get one at a decent price.

It’s hard to say if it’s “worth” the difference... it depends on you and your own finances.:smirk:

Some would argue that for the price difference you could get the 2010 and get a laundry list of guards, some orange bling, a few sets of tires and still be ahead.

Some would also argue that price difference is smaller if you figure resale value should be lower on the 10 vs. the 11.

Only you can make that call. I can’t see being unhappy with either bike.

I opted for the 2011 250 XC. Handling seems better than both my 07 and 09 300 XCW and with the 6sp I did not see a need for the W. It’s my first 250 and I got a good enough deal that I figure I could make it a 300 one day if I decide to. The 11 has the 6sp vs. the 5 sp in the 10. I like it better than my W but not sure how much better it would be over the 2010 XC. ? Not like I use 6th that much!

Not sure how much of the “better” is the motor, tranny, frame, suspension... but all in all... happy with my new toy.

The 11 has the new frame compared to the 10. Lots of guys change up the suspension so that may not matter to you if you would get suspension work done eventually on either bike. So far I don’t feel a need to have any suspension changes on my 11.

In my opinion most riders and even good riders will not notice a difference in a properly set up '10 or '11 250xc. I have preached this and I will preach it again so here i go.

it's all up to you, what you want out of a bike, what you may want in resale, and what you can afford. I decided for the price difference between an xc and an sx i would go with an sx.

1. Most people will have their suspension tuned anyway so the difference in the xc and the sx suspension is negated right there.

2. Most people spend money trying to get more power out of the xc by buying the sx head or having other mods done, running the red power valve spring, ect.ect. when its easier and cheaper to tame down the sx for woods riding with fat jetting and the green power valve spring.

3. The sx runs down very low in the rpm range. so low that it doesn't need a flywheel weight. First gear is plenty low on the sx so there is really no need for the lower 1st gear the xc comes with. Who needs to go 70 mph on a fire road? i don't so the 5th gear in the sx works just fine for me.

4. It's a 2 stroke for gods sakes so why does it need an electric start? KTM actually refers to it as a re-starter, it is designed to restart the bike after it is warmed up and has been running for awhile. While we are on the electric start subject lets not forget the amount of issues people have with these systems and the amount of maintenance that is required with the 2-stroke re-starter. Another thing is the addition of 10 pounds of unneeded weight and some of that weight is rather high in the frame with the battery.

In the end the choice is yours. Spend $8k on a new '11 xc or spend $8k on a '10 xc that has tons of mods or go the route that i did by getting a barely used '10sx for $4k or hold out for a barely used '11 sx for on the cheap and save even more if you just have to have an '11 bike. or wait just a few more months and put your cash down for a '12 bike.

Honestly with a 6spd conversion and all the mods i have done to my SX it is better than a new bike and i haven't spent as much money, yet!

Is the price difference $1600 ? or maybe it's less.... because when it's time to upgrade, and you sell the 11, it's going to be worth more than the 10 isn't it? so maybe it's not as big of a price difference as you think ?

Get the newer bike... Because you'll always be asking yourself "what if". It's not alot of money in the scheme of things, and at the end a big part of what you are buying os owners pride.

If it was me though.. I'd wait 2 months for the 2012 XC (or sx) with linkage :smirk: