Sign in to follow this  

Recommendation on DOT tires

I am looking to start getting my bike street legal and figure I would start with the tires, need to be replaced. I am still going to do mostly trail riding, but just want a bike to do some running around town occasionally. Thanks for the suggestions.

Kris

Kenda Parker is DOT. I have one on the front and it's fine, I've had better and worse. For the rear I'm liking my Pirelli MT43 trials tire, its DOT approved, wears like iron and works well for my type of riding style (old fat and slow).

I run a Pirelli MT43 on the rear. Pirelli MT21 on the front. Both work well on the trails and street. All Pirelli front tires are DOT approved.

I like the Kenda Trakmaster on the back (for a DOT tire) but, in my experience, the front Trakmaster slides out unpredictably when riding off road. I have a Pirelli Scorpion Pro up front now and am very happy with it.

DUnlop 606 for general everything. The Kenda Trackmaster has the softest side walls & will slip out from under you. The 606 will slide away, the Trackmaster will slip.

I can't speak highly enough of the Pirelli Pro FIM tires. They held up great riding rock in Moab 3 weeks ago and were awesome last weekend on the Sandy trails at Rampart. I see you're from CO, Weld county is supposed to be an easy place for inspections. That is hearsay though as I bought my X with a plate already on it.

I had the Pirelli Scorpion Pros on my DRZ. They are awesome dirt tires and are DOT. they are one of the most aggressive dot knob IRS out there. They are fine on the road but remember they are knobbies. I am spoiled on asphalt bc I have sumo tires for that.

Kendas and 606s are great for 50/50 riding but the Pirellis are more for 100% dirt but legal to race Enduros or to ride to the store on the way home.

I am ready for a new tire and I am thinking of trying the Trakmaster...Deciding between the 110/100/18 and the 120/100/18. Assuming both will fit does anyone prefer one over the other?

Michelin Desert 90/90-21 is DOT wears like iron and is a great turning tire in all types of conditions.

I use it on my 450X and it's not even plated!!

Edited by dino 702

Kenda Trakmaster, front and rear.. long wearing good all around DOT tire..

Jack

Second that! Ran them on my 450, my kids 80, and now my 250 smoker. They are cheap and last!

Greetings.

I have a plated CRF450X. I ride 20-40% on the road, but I care more about off-road performance than on-road. (That's why I'm selling my 2007 KLR650)

I recently put a Pirelli MT21 on the front and based on reviews and recommendations, (and due to the fact that I ride plenty on-road and was making a trip to Southern Utah to ride slick rock on the Hole in the Rock trail) I put a Pirelli MT43 trials tire on the back.

It is a really sweet setup for me. Handles great on the road. The trials tire took everything I could throw at it. (I had to try to roost as little as possible :-( but it was worth it) The only thing it is not great at is deep mud.

I rode the MT43 in sand, rock, light mud, dirt, plenty of technical climbs and on the road. I've worn soft composite tires all the way through on one trip on the trail, but these seem to be in great shape.

I am looking to start getting my bike street legal and figure I would start with the tires, need to be replaced. I am still going to do mostly trail riding, but just want a bike to do some running around town occasionally. Thanks for the suggestions.

Kris

KStamps I recently plated 4 bikes here in Colorado and did the same thing. I put Kenda Trakmaster II's on front and rear since they were cheap.

However, if I had to do it over again, I would do the Trakmaster II K760 in the rear and perhaps think about Pirelli XCMH in the front. I have read a lot of reviews that really like that DOT tire for the front. It is quite a bit more expensive...but based on my experience with with my Husaberg FE450 and Yamaha WR250F, I think there is something to the criticism that the Trakmaster II front tire slipping out from under you.

Didnt really have a choice on the KX100 since Trakmaster II's were the only DOT tires I could find in 19" front and 16" rear with mainly an offroad knobby.

If you run into any questions or issues with plating your bike, feel free to PM me and I will be happy to share any of my knowledge or experiences if they are useful for your process.