Sign in to follow this  

99 XR250 - Broken Frame

I would think a skilled welder could fix that (?). I know guys that break quad frames all the time and they weld them up and never have any more issues.

yes it could be welded and gusseted up, im a welder but im a little far from you haha

thats a little scary, it looks like mine might have a small crack there ive been keeping an eye on.

Yea,I think buying a different frame would be a waste of money..Even the previous reply said his frame was maybe cracked also in that same spot..My 99 is starting to rust a little in that area..You need to pull the motor and find a fab shop that has a good welder working for them..You will never be able to tell it was ever welded if its done right and it will be as good as new for maybe 30 or 40 bucks..A good welder wont want to mess with it unless you pull the motor..:smirk:

I just got done pulling and cleaning the frame. The sub-frame was also broken. Also, the threads came off the steering stem.

My welder friend thinks he can fix the frame and sub-frame. Now I need to find a steering stem.

I wouldn't trust just a weld bead at that point behind the footpeg mount. As you can see, that frame material is pretty thin. I would, and did on mine, fabricate a patch to span the crack to each side of it, out to good metal and weld that on.

That is a weak spot o the bike for sure --- I bet you could find a frame for about 75-100 bucks ... you already know what to look for - RUST!

Buddy went sliding into a flat corner and hit a large rock embedded into the ground. We actually rode it for a few weeks before we noticed the break.

https://picasaweb.google.com/102246829780066243930/1999XR250RBrokenFrame?feat=directlink

Anyways, other than ebay, are there any other decent sources for frames?

Pssft. That's nothing. Weld it. After 13 years of abuse, my XRs frame has more weld on it than original steel.

JayC

:smirk: take a crf250 frame and make an XR250AF lol ...bet the frame can probly be welded

I just got the frame and subframe back from the welder. They welds looks great. So now to put this thing back together.

That is a weak spot o the bike for sure --- I bet you could find a frame for about 75-100 bucks ... you already know what to look for - RUST!

Just be aware that switching frames will make a titled bike a non titled bike. A big issue if you're wanting to dual sport the bike. Here in Arizona, the dirt bikes without titles are worth vitually nothing. Not only are you prohibited from getting an MC license plate but you can't even get an RV plate with an OHV sticker for selected off roading areas.

Just thought I would mention it. :smirk:

I just got the frame and subframe back from the welder. They welds looks great. So now to put this thing back together.

Lets see.

IMO opinion mig would have been better in that situation. looks strong though, only 1 real way to find out so go ride!

definitely a weak spot on XR's

oddly my trx450 would crack there too