a bit of a suspension newbie...CR250

I just picked up a 2000 cr250 and am about to change the spring rates for my weight (230 lb trail rider). i had an 05 wr250 before that i changed the fork and shock springs out on with ease. With the cr theres an option for fork pressure springs...can someone give me some insight as to which rate i should go to for these once i get the closest fork rate for me. i want to make this an enjoyable woods/trail bike. (on a related note, im supposed to go to a .54 fork rate but the highest i can get is a .50....think that will suffice?)

Any info is appreciated!

thne stock springs are set up for 185 lb rider. the .50 springs should work for your weight, but the front end suffers from alot of mid stroke harshness. I revalved mine several times and found the following off the stock shim stack.

2 20 .1

11 .1

remove the 19,17 and 15

Shims

oil in cartrige should be topped out 5 weight ( excess will flow out of overflow hole ) outer should be aprox 350 cc.

some tuners prefer 2.5 weight in the cartrige, ( I have never used it ) But it is supposed to give you that plush stroke.

Al

I just picked up a 2000 cr250 and am about to change the spring rates for my weight (230 lb trail rider). i had an 05 wr250 before that i changed the fork and shock springs out on with ease. With the cr theres an option for fork pressure springs...can someone give me some insight as to which rate i should go to for these once i get the closest fork rate for me. i want to make this an enjoyable woods/trail bike. (on a related note, im supposed to go to a .54 fork rate but the highest i can get is a .50....think that will suffice?)

Any info is appreciated!

you'd be suprised how soft you can go on spring rates if it's a trail bike.

go to moto pro suspension and use the my bike spring generator. it will be softer than racetech/mx tech's calculator.

some don't change pressure springs. that's fine, but a trail bike can benefit from this. here's an example, my friend is 195lb. forks .44kg main, 1.4kg pressure. he told me it was working well for him. on paper it looks soft, but we're taking a bike and doing the complete polar opposite for which it was built. there's some good information out there on that year of cr. i rode one for years. great bike. have fun.:ride:

i think for woods and enduro settings dwights guides for sags are good, 75mm ish for a full size bike, but for mx IMO you need stiffer settings, 55mm is a fork sag number that seems to work if you find a good well setup bike and measure it , as i have done a few times, 55mm is the number i find i am close to on average, my personal rmz has only 45mm but its a firm setup not every one would get on with.

Any info is appreciated!

i have the exact same bike and just bought new fork springs for it last night. ive had the 6.0kg rear spring for a bit now. i know for my weight (245lb street clothes) the 6.0 still does not get me the correct sag (still too soft) but its pretty close.

i purchased 0.49kg fork springs so we'll see how they work when i can get them in. i saw last night, you can get as high as 0.52kg fork springs from factory connection. they are $95 at oemcycle. finally decided it was time to purchase new fork springs to match the rear, as i just went to a track on saturday for the first time. definitely need a good suspension setup so im starting to actually care and work on it.