Sign in to follow this  

Intermediate tire for mx

Another tire thread, why not..

I've used up my stash of 756rr's, now it's time to try something new, unless someone has a 756 source:smirk: I bought a new old stock front wheel that has a new 742f but I hear it's best to just toss it. I'm thinking 403 404? Vet mx mostly intermediate prep practice days with a few non prep now and then.

The 403 and 404 came stock on my YZF. they were good tires. And they lasted longer than I thought they would. I went trail riding with the kids, though, and after a few hours of gravel roads and trails, they are done.

Overall though I thought they were good. Hope this helps.

my fav. intermediate tire is the dunlop mx51 rear/ mx31 front... I thought Id never find another tire as good as the 756 but the mx51 is def at the top of my list, and I ride on a wide variety of tracks. Alot of people have had some trouble with chunking on the 51 front but with the 31 I have never experienced that. Ive raced 4 motos (open class and 450 A on my 250 smoker just to see what I could do and placed 5th out of 17 by the way) so far and plan on getting at least 4 more out of this set before I replace the rear, he front still looks new. The little rubber nipples just wore completely off. So it will remain my #1 tire combo until I have a bad experience with them which I dont forsee or I find something better.

403 404 is one of my favorites. Running MX51's now and not crazy about the front. Maybe I'll try the 51/31 combo next time.

403 404 is one of my favorites. Running MX51's now and not crazy about the front. Maybe I'll try the 51/31 combo next time.

Glad you mentioned that... I had a major issue with front end wash with the 51 front which was my reasoning for trying the 31 front since I had no issue with any other tire I knew suspension was not the issue. Glad I went with the 31 because my wash dissapeared, I was a little concerned with the life of a soft terrain tire on some of the hard stuff I ride but it tracks great and wear very well in everything Ive encountered so far. You should def give it a go before you throw the geomax series out the window:thumbsup:

I am running the MX51's....I love it on the back.......but I believe I am going to try a MX31 on the front......

Have tried the 51 rear, seemed to wear really quick even in soft loamy conditions, as do the 756's. Now that my set up for 50 bucks a pop on 756's is done with, being a broke college student, I think my next set of tires is goign to be those cheapies from motosport. I'll post up what I think about them, for practice tires I feel like you cant really beat 89 bucks a set even if they only last 10 hours of practice.

I love the 952 here. we primarily have intermediate to hard pack with a few days in the soft stuff. Hooks up great all around and while performs better in the intermediate and hard its very predictable in all conditions.

I use the mx51 rear but have the D952 on front only cuz i do desert a lot so i just keep my front tire an all around and change my back wheel to my desert tire... Works for me :smirk:

i use mx51 front and back, im having front wash issues too, thanks for the recommendation on the 31 front. Im definitely trying that.

The 51/31 combo sounds like a good idea, can anyone compare with the 403/404? I did a search and most seemed happy with either combo, of course a few said they they were awful..still better than the 742f reviews..

The 51/31 combo sounds like a good idea, can anyone compare with the 403/404? I did a search and most seemed happy with either combo, of course a few said they they were awful..still better than the 742f reviews..

IMO I think they are pretty even.If comparing the 51 front with the 403, the 403 blows it out of the water! I think the 31 front tracks a little better in a wider variety of soil types than the 403. I also think the 51 rear is a little more versatile than the 404 in differing track conditions (esp. in rutted corners). The thing the 403/404 seemed to have over the 31/51 was that they seemed to last a little longer when used in the proper applications. I wasnt as fast or as hard on tires the last time I ran the 403/404 though. I do have a set on the shelf at home which Id like to mount up to give a more accurate comparison between the 2 set ups.