Sign in to follow this  

Proper clutch adjustment

When the bike is completely cold, in gear, and the clutch pulled, is it normal for there to be resistance? In first, you can definitely feel the resistance but it isn't enough for it to turn the engine over.

The clutch seems to operate well enough when I'm riding around, but when I shift from neutral I can feel it jump slightly. Also after a while of riding around at slow speeds and using the clutch, it gets a lot harder to shift and almost impossible to find neutral.

I have a feeling the cold resistance is just because the oil is cold and thick, but I want to be sure before I burn out the clutch prematurely. I have no idea about the other symptoms. Maybe they're normal, too.

Is there any procedure for checking and adjusting the clutch I should follow?

Thanks.

Yup, some drag is normal. You can try the $.79 clutch fix. I simply rev the engine a little and the drag is not an issue.

Freeplay at the perch is supposed to be about the thickness of a nickel for a correct adjustment. You will find it tightens up as the bike heats up and returnes to being loose when it cools due to clutch pack swelling.

It seemed to help me to tip the bike to the right and pull the clutch a few times while letting it warm up. Lets the clutch get wet after sitting awhile. :smirk:

It seemed to help me to tip the bike to the right and pull the clutch a few times while letting it warm up. Lets the clutch get wet after sitting awhile. :ride:

+1. Our mechanic said to tip it and pull the lever a few times BEFORE starting. Gets the plates wet prior to running.