Sign in to follow this  

250 2t? Starter bike?

Hey, I had another post up earlier, about getting a 125 2t. But being 6'1ish and 215, 17 years old. pounds, the majority of people told me I should get a 250 2t. I have plenty of trail riding experience on atvs. I own a suped up 400ex, as well as drive a manual car so I have plenty of clutch experience. I have a wide open field to learn in, and have plenty of respect for machines. I'm also plenty familiar with the trails around my area. Anways, I have a few questions. I dont want a four stroke, coming from working on the 400ex, I am looking forward to the simple 2 stroke motor :smirk:

1. People were saying flywheel weights would help alot. What exactly do flywheel weights do, all the times I've seen them mentioned, no one has said what they exactly do.. Also, I dont have alot of money to dump into the bike. I will be trading the ex for a bike, so about how much do flywheel weights run?

2. If I dont snap the throttle and keep the bike in the lower rpm, will it have any defects on the bike, I know 2 strokes are supposed to be rode at a high rpm for the power, and will I foul plugs like crazy if I keep the bike in a lower rpm?

3. Any info appreciated :smirk:

1. the fly wheel weight slows down the rotation of the motor at the crank. Often times they are used to move the power a little lower in the RPM range and smooth out the "hit", they also help prevent stalling on tight single track or areas where you need to lug the bike. Could be one of the best mods on a 250 smoker for woods riding.

2. You can mod/ set up pretty much any bike to perform any way you'd like. If you jet properly you can ride the bike at low rpms all the time with no ill effects on power or having to worry about fouling plugs. My brother had a 125 which some say are not practical for trail riding that he actually used for trail riding and experienced a lot of fouled plugs in the slower/ lugging areas of the trails. I tore the carb apart and leaned out the pilot and needle a tad so it ran crisp on the low end while being lugged and he never fouled another one. We put 3 top ends in the bike after that and never changed the plug once.

A flywheel weight doesn't reduce the rpms, only how fast it can get there (reduces snap), or slow back down (reduces stalling).

You're just adding weight to the crankshaft, so it's harder to get it spinning, but it will reach the same speed. it will also be harder to slow the crank down so it reduces stalling.

Fouling plugs will depend on how it's jetted, the leaner the jetting, the less chance it will foul, but the more power it produces. (untill you burn it up).

The richer it is, the better chance to foul, will run sluggish, but less chance to "cook it."

JD jet kit is a great option for a 2-stroke and the customer tech support is awsome.

It was basically my first one (250 2T). I'm 5'6 140lbs and almost didn't buy it because I thought I was going to pick up a 250f. Didn't like the idea of a powerband. Got it anyway and thought I was going to be putting on lowering links, shaving the seat, a flywheel weight, etc. Guy gave me the best advice and said "just ride it like it is and you'll like it." "......it will only go as fast as you turn the throttle."

So I did........and love it! Bought a 125 a year later for a resale deal; rode it about four times and said no thanks! It felt like a 1/3 of the power, had to keep it wound (tougher on today's designed tight tracks...to me anyway), and was constantly trying to time the pband. It had some fun-factor, but so does mine. But mine has power when you want it and NEED it. Not sure about the other years and brands, but my powerband is pretty smooth. And I can lug it if I want to. I don't have to be in the band all the time.

Have ridden a couple of 450's and remember thinking to myself "no wonder." Maybe 2 gears the whole track (rode one lap in one gear). They don't seem to get tired as quick either. I just really didn't like the weight (and a buddy's just seized--can't imagine that bill). Rode a 250f (bored to 290) and felt glad to get on my bike. Still think about the 450f since they're killing me in endurance and some of the tight jumps. But for now it's the 250 2T and hearing some riders going back to them is comforting.

Those are just my opinions, so good luck and just ride!

It did....all the way through!! But I could feel momentum kick in if I got on it really hard almost like a powerband. In middle of third and you give it a rip, the last part of the throttle feels like a powerband to me. Saw (and heard) a guy get whiskey throttle landing off a jump in a rythem section and went through the trees off the next; best sound I've heard yet (a pinned 450).

The 250 is great for trail riding. Mine has never fouled a plug, but I work the throttle a little more aggressively. Instead of just staying in the bottom end, use the clutch and coast, then hit the powerband and spin the wheel when you need some huevos.

A flywheel weight doesn't reduce the rpms, only how fast it can get there (reduces snap), or slow back down (reduces stalling).

You're just adding weight to the crankshaft, so it's harder to get it spinning, but it will reach the same speed. it will also be harder to slow the crank down so it reduces stalling.

Fouling plugs will depend on how it's jetted, the leaner the jetting, the less chance it will foul, but the more power it produces. (untill you burn it up).

The richer it is, the better chance to foul, will run sluggish, but less chance to "cook it."

JD jet kit is a great option for a 2-stroke and the customer tech support is awsome.

Thats what I said... I never said RPMs go away, I said it slows down the rotation at the crank (gains RPMs a little slower, making it seem as if the power is moved lower in the RPM range) and reduces the "hit". I guess I should have said it makes the bike a little more tractible down low and less prone to stalling in tight slow sections.

I rode a 250 2t for over 15 years until I bought my 4t. The 2T issues were fouling plugs (my fault for not fixing the jetting) and too loud (probably my fault for not keeping the silencer repacked). I often find myself looking at CL for another 2t, and would maybe put on a "DB snorkel" to keep it quiet.

It doesn't seem to me that you are really a beginner, so it should be a good machine for you. As long as you respect what it can do.

A 250 2-strokes will get you tired really fast.

Stay with 4 strokes if you can afford it.

Not looking to buy a 4 stroke.

Not looking to buy a 4 stroke.

You have over 5 threads about what bike to get. Get a 125, pick a color. :smirk:

250 2 stroke is a great bike. Not sure it is for beginners though. It can be a lot bike. Put a fly wheel weight on it and it wont hit as hard.

Clutching on a car will have no relevance to riding a dirtbike of any type. If you want to learn to shift and clutch all the time, get a 125 2 stroke. You are a bit on the big size for a 125 though. So I would find a 250 2 stroke and either get used to it or mellow the power out with a flywheel weight.

Good luck.

250 2 stroke is a great bike. Not sure it is for beginners though. It can be a lot bike. Put a fly wheel weight on it and it wont hit as hard.

Clutching on a car will have no relevance to riding a dirtbike of any type. If you want to learn to shift and clutch all the time, get a 125 2 stroke. You are a bit on the big size for a 125 though. So I would find a 250 2 stroke and either get used to it or mellow the power out with a flywheel weight.

Good luck.

He already has experience in that regard. "400exrider" ? Anyways, just buy a 250! Sack up and learn the hard way.

I understand he has experience on how to start off and operate the clutch, however riding a 2 stroke requires clutch slipping to keep the bike up on the pipe. The 250 does not require near as much clutch slipping as a 125 but it is a necessary skill non the less.

I understand he has experience on how to start off and operate the clutch, however riding a 2 stroke requires clutch slipping to keep the bike up on the pipe. The 250 does not require near as much clutch slipping as a 125 but it is a necessary skill non the less.

I've done clutch slipping on the 400ex, riding in to high of a gear, keeping power in the turns. I'm not worried about the clutching part of it.

You’re more qualified than I was when I got my yz250. I was 5'9 130lbs and I had been riding an 80. It was a big jump for me, but you’re a bigger guy and know how to handle something with some power. So find a good deal and get riding, it's not like your marring the bike.

A 250 2-strokes will get you tired really fast.

Stay with 4 strokes if you can afford it.

My wife rides and races a 250 2-stroke. She reports she can go faster for longer than on her old 250f (but that was a heavy-azz slow wr).

We routinely put in 70-100 mile days in the mountains on 2-strokes. Admittedly, y'all may not be as strong or fit as a 120 lb girl, so YMMV. :ride:

It really depends on your experience. Quad experience helps, but doesnt exactly translate to a dirt bike, especially a 250 2t. If you have plenty of 2 wheel riding experience, you could give the 250 a try. If you have primarily quad experience and are getting started on 2 wheels, I wouldnt buy a 250 MX bike...that snappy power will put you on your a$$ if you arent careful.