Sign in to follow this  

Back In Biz ~ New 09 XR650L Supermoto

I just picked up my very first Honda. It's a used 2009 XR650L supermoto conversion that was built by Hollister Honda. It only has 1,400 miles on it and it's in like new condition. I know I'm going to love this thing. I've already owned 2 DRZ's and a Husky 610. I wanted a stone reliable street tard that got good mileage. I'm already planning on changing a few cosmetic things but I'll leave the motor alone. I haggled the price down a bit so I didn't get the Corbin seat. I didn't like the look of it anyways. I'm going with all black. I'm also going to change the front and rear fenders to white...

Pics

979110ad.jpg

Edited by Jboat

Nice looking Sumo! :smirk:

You might want to change out that huge rear sprocket though ... even with the stock 45T rear sprocket it would be geared low because of the 17 inch wheels. When I run my Sumo setup I use a 42T rear sprocket so it's geared taller and able to hit higher cruising speeds without revving the snot out of it. :smirk:

It has a 15/42 gearing right now. So far it seems pretty well suited for the street. I haven't really flogged it in the twisties yet though...

Nice looking Sumo! :smirk:

You might want to change out that huge rear sprocket though ... even with the stock 45T rear sprocket it would be geared low because of the 17 inch wheels. When I run my Sumo setup I use a 42T rear sprocket so it's geared taller and able to hit higher cruising speeds without revving the snot out of it. :smirk:

attachment.jpg

Is it a 42T sprocket in that pic? :smirk:

Sure looks bigger than that ... Looks like at least a 48T. :smirk:

attachment.jpg

Is it a 42T sprocket in that pic? :smirk:

Sure looks bigger than that ... Looks like at least a 48T. :smirk:

That's not the sprocket on there now. I have a 42T Vortex...

IMG_0373.jpg

That's not the sprocket on there now. I have a 42T Vortex...

IMG_0373.jpg

Gotcha! :smirk:

Is that Vortex sprocket one of the ones that has an aluminum center/carrier and an outer steel ring where the teeth are? :smirk:

Thanks. Here's a list of mods it has done to it. All I'm going to do is get a black seat cover and ride the piss out of it!...:smirk:

FMF powerbomb header with Q4 silencer

Clarke tank with Project 321 gas cap

Jetkit

Battery relocated to airbox

Moose oversized handlebars and pegs

Xr's only Skidplate

Trailtech X2 HID headlight (blindingly bright!)

Acewell 3901 speedometer

Excel wheels with Talon hubs

Steel braided brake line

Led signals and tail light

Vortex 42 tooth rear sprocket 15 front

Here's an updated pic with the black seat...

dbe6c113.jpg

62fcceec.jpg

bea7f075.jpg

Boy it sure does look great.....I like the sticker on the rear fender..:ride:

I'd be interested in the gas tank if that's one of the things you'd planned on changing cosmetically

I'd be interested in the gas tank if that's one of the things you'd planned on changing cosmetically

Nope. In my book that's the best mod on it. One of my favorite twisty routes is over 100 miles long so I need the larger capacity tank...:ride:

do you have any close up pics of that light? like how you have it mounted? i have the same one but was a bitch to mount and i still dont like it.

I have always liked the black and white color scheme, and this is one of the nicest looking ones out there... Kudos on the "Built"... I like built!

do you have any close up pics of that light? like how you have it mounted? i have the same one but was a bitch to mount and i still dont like it.

It has rubber straps that wrap around the fork tube. Also there were 2 plastic screws that go through the bottom into the front fender. When I got it the light was aimed too high. I'm sure I burned out a few drivers' retinas with these HIDs on my first ride. I removed the screws and aimed it properly and replaced them with 2 stainless 1/4-20 socket head cap screws and snugged it with a nyloc nut. I had to drill 2 new holes into the fender approx. 1 1/2" further back (towards the forks) to get the light aimed right.

I can post up some close up pics later if you want...

I have always liked the black and white color scheme, and this is one of the nicest looking ones out there... Kudos on the "Built"... I like built!

It was on there when I got it. I like it too so I left it on (even though I didn't build it...)

It has rubber straps that wrap around the fork tube. Also there were 2 plastic screws that go through the bottom into the front fender. When I got it the light was aimed too high. I'm sure I burned out a few drivers' retinas with these HIDs on my first ride. I removed the screws and aimed it properly and replaced them with 2 stainless 1/4-20 socket head cap screws and snugged it with a nyloc nut. I had to drill 2 new holes into the fender approx. 1 1/2" further back (towards the forks) to get the light aimed right.

I can post up some close up pics later if you want...

I fabbed an aluminum bracket with three sets of holes for the bottom mount. The black plastic piece is the mounting block that TrailTech supplies with the light. This gives me a lot of flexibility in aiming the up/down of the light as I also slotted the holes where it mounts between the triple and the fender:P2090520.jpg

With the light in place:

P2090529.jpg

I also cut about a two inch piece of black PVC tubing down the center so I have two halves. I straddle the fork tube with them and lash the rubber mounting straps around them. This gives me the extra bit of space needed behind the light for the wiring nightmare and ignition switch.

From the side, on the bike:

P5010683.jpg