vanishing oil...

on my 1993 Honda XR650L. I just re worked the engine. (new countershaft, timing chain guides, and a cam) I put it all back together and it fired up. so I took it for a short ride. I got it back and checked the oil level. Empty. Weird I thought. so I drained the oil. Nothing out of the oil down tube. I removed the engine drain bolt and all my oil came out. So I changed the oil and added 2 quarts. started it up and nothing on the dipstick. added another quart (just to see) and sure enough it disappeared too. I am not sure if I have the lines crossed (smaller one on the inside right?). I cant figure out what I did wrong. please help.:smirk:

its been sitting for six months until I could afford the parts so I am a little frustrated with myself.

If you added a third quart of oil, you are probably a quart high, unless you have an oil leak. :smirk: You should only check the oil level after the engine has reached operating temperatures. When the engine is hot, check the oil level with the bike upright, immediately after you turn off the engine. :prof:

Spud :smirk:

Hate to ask a stupid question but you did put the gear back on that drives the pump right?

OK so now we're past that make sure pump is primed, and I guess you cross oil lines but I think it would be hard to make them go on wrong, not much room, or length in the hose to getit wrong.

Hate to ask a stupid question but you did put the gear back on that drives the pump right?

OK so now we're past that make sure pump is primed, and I guess you cross oil lines but I think it would be hard to make them go on wrong, not much room, or length in the hose to getit wrong.

Close. I went online to where I buy my parts. turns out there is a small metal line I forgot. My service manual didnt really do a cracker jack job of mentioning it and I forgot. :smirk: I will throw it in and hopefully that will take care of the problem. Got lucky and didnt cause any damage.

yes there is and there should be an o-ring on that tube, be careful not to let the tube slip during assy. and get cocked in there, I have seen it. (not me of course but I have seen it).:smirk:

okay. got it all assembled. still didnt have oil reaching the frame by the dipstick. pulled it back apart and reprimed the pump. still nothing. so i cracked the return oil line. very low flow until i assume air escaped because the next thing i know my face was covered in oil. so now its flowing properly

quick question though, I installed a hot cam as well as a dynojet stage one kit. its popping on decel, running hot, and stumbles and dies on acceleration unless i really get on it. Cruising speeds it flies though. Maybe I need to go with the next jet up that I got? The kit came with a 160 and a 165. I originally had a 158. so I went with the 160. Bigger? I dont think its the valve timing as I was overly meticulous with that. lets just say I learned my lesson after meeting an interference engine. :smirk:

Like you, I recently rebuilt my engine and installed a hotcam. In addition to that, I added an ISD-2 exhaust and used a JE 10.5:1 piston. The jetting can be finicky and you may have to experiment some. Research what other are using, Dave's Mods are a great place to start. I am not familiar with the dynojet numbers, I use OEM jets and needle; suggesting same for you.

Your bike sounds lean to me; popping on decel indicates either that or an exhaust leak. Start with one circuit, work it out, then change the next circuit. Too many changes at once is too confusing. You'll get it eventually.

Randy