Sign in to follow this  

OffRoad Would u use a 110 or 120 tire on 250 XCW at Erzberg?

I like to run Pirelli's MT16, they are pretty big tires, the 110 is similiar to most manufacturers 120 and Pirelli's 120 is like a 130. I am under the impression that since the entire race is under 20 miles, it would seem wise run a larger tire for the hill climbs and rock gardens. I am also under the impression that the XCW 250 should have a bit of lower gearing to pull the bigger tire...

Any thoughts?

go with the bigger tire and put more rubber on the rocks. if your worried about the gearing go up one or two on the rear to make up for the bigger tire.

I don't know anything about the Erzberg race other than what I have seen on the boob tube AND the fact that if you are running this race, you have a much bigger set below the belt than I do my friend!

However IMHO, from what I have seen of the race, it looks extremely rocky and with a lot of loose hill climbs. If I were to encounter those types of terrains, I would want to go with a larger tire just for stability and better traction with hook up through the loose stuff. As far as the gearing, jumping up to a 110 shouldn't require any gear changes for the tire alone BUT if you are racing a 2 stroke, I would gear down from the stock size on the rear sprocket (more teeth) by about 2 and 1 less tooth on the front. I imagine you will want more low end delivery with those hill climbs and loose rocks rather than workingthe clutch all day long on a bike with more top end hit.... That would be my first approach any way.

Good luck and have fun! :ride:

Mike, If you go with a larger tire, remember to compensate gearing for the larger rolling circumfrance, and adjust suspension for ride height /front ,rear balance. I remember the first year we did Mich. together I spend the first half struggling with the front end as I had put on a much smaller rear tire (5% ) than I was set up for. Everything was fine after I raised the forks in the clamps

Curt

Mike, If you go with a larger tire, remember to compensate gearing for the larger rolling circumfrance, and adjust suspension for ride height /front ,rear balance. I remember the first year we did Mich. together I spend the first half struggling with the front end as I had put on a much smaller rear tire (5% ) than I was set up for. Everything was fine after I raised the forks in the clamps

Curt

Very good points!

Pirelli MT-16

110 size tire width =120mm height=684

120 size tire width =134mm height=695

I tried the 110 ( mt32) on my 250 thinking it would provide better engine perf off the bottom... Not worth the increased wheel spin. The 120 feels better in the rocks, single track hard pack ( MT 16), and of course in the sand ( mt32).

... running 14 52 gearing.

I'm no expert and have never ridden Erzberg but we do practice alot on tough rocky terrain.

Bear in mind the tough rock sections (where you will likely spend most of your day!) you are talking about maneuverability is gonna be one of your main concerns.

Most of the time you wont be feet up riding through but feet down, paddling, needing to perform pin turns, maybe even spin turns to get over rocks etc.

In this instance a 110 would require less effort.