What SuperMoto should be Collected and Why?

In remembering the best of the past. What Super Motos will we like to take a page out of history for? What SMR are you collecting for tomorrow?

Well maybe when I'm long gone it may be worth something but I stumbled on a 2008 KTM 690 SMR with the orange frame and Marchesini alloy wheels. It's fairly unique. The previous owner added a number of the KTM anodized accessory parts, a Leo Vince Carbon cannister dual pipe setup and installed the Akropovic carbon fiber inner fenders as well.

The "R" is supposed to be a bit more scarce than the standard "SM's" but I haven't been able to find any production figures muchless how many were imported into the USA. People usually haven't a clue as to what it is.

100_0091.jpg

100_0097.jpg

Well maybe when I'm long gone it may be worth something but I stumbled on a 2008 KTM 690 SMR with the orange frame and Marchesini alloy wheels. It's fairly unique.

Yes the 690 SMR should be on the list. I kinda got the feeling as gas prices become higher, the sought after these bikes will become. As the future will produce massive low power motorcycle and scooters!:smirk:

Manufactures who win most, motorcycle or cars are the object we usually place value in later time. This being the case I have composed a list of future bikes to watch out for.

1. Husqvarna 450/510

2. KTM 450/525

3. Aprilia 450/550

4. Honda CRF 450R

Edited by The goat
Misspelling
Well maybe when I'm long gone it may be worth something but I stumbled on a 2008 KTM 690 SMR with the orange frame and Marchesini alloy wheels. It's fairly unique. The previous owner added a number of the KTM anodized accessory parts, a Leo Vince Carbon cannister dual pipe setup and installed the Akropovic carbon fiber inner fenders as well.

The "R" is supposed to be a bit more scarce than the standard "SM's" but I haven't been able to find any production figures muchless how many were imported into the USA. People usually haven't a clue as to what it is.

TARDY.jpg

Only regret is the header pipe route. I've mashed 2 of those headers from jumps and at 500 USD each, that chaps my damned hide. :lol::ride::lol: (first and only owner)

TARDY.jpg

Only regret is the header pipe route. I've mashed 2 of those headers from jumps and at 500 USD each, that chaps my damned hide. :lol::ride::lol: (first and only owner)

KEEP HER ON LEVEL GROUND!:lol: She's to pretty to jump! Get a CRF if you just need a junk bike? I got one, yes a CRF! IT's my practice bike:smirk: It looks like junk but it save my good stuff!

@deadend... Keep her flat. She's too pretty to jump. Get a CRF for that kinda work! My work bike is a CRF. I ride it and put it up wet! KTMs and Husqvarna's, I save for those perfect days, when I just want to look goooooood!!!

:ride: yeah I learned real quick I wasnt going to enjoy (mentally) any trails on her.

I have a 98 YZ400F as my goto trail beater :lol:

as for "collectors"

WR400/426 s with plates. I want one so bad.

Well maybe when I'm long gone it may be worth something but I stumbled on a 2008 KTM 690 SMR with the orange frame and Marchesini alloy wheels. It's fairly unique.

Yes the 690 SMR should be on the list. I kinda got the feeling as gas prices become higher, the sought after these bikes will become. As the future will produce massive low power motorcycle and scooters!:ride:

Many of these get pretty awful mpg for their engine size.

Many of these get pretty awful mpg for their engine size.

Yes you're right? But if we detune them with smaller carbs well be OK. When we need to open them up or open up the jets and put the race pipe on we could.

But once laws come in and say all we can have is a 250??? Then were screwed! Trust, that day is coming. I live in the los Angeles area. Traffic used to stay busy up on till 8:00PM.. Freeways stayed jammed pack. Now I notice there aren't as many cars.

The time is coming... I see the kids of the future gocking over retro supermotos:smirk:

not to netpick but are we talking about the 690s or the "smaller engines" comingled in the same post?

If the prior : i can squeeze 55mpg out of the 690 without feeling like sunday news and even with my warmachine grip im still getting around 49-51 when im on it.

if the later : i dont know much about scooters.

not to netpick but are we talking about the 690s or the "smaller engines" comingled in the same post?

If the prior : i can squeeze 55mpg out of the 690 without feeling like sunday news and even with my warmachine grip im still getting around 49-51 when im on it.

if the later : i dont know much about scooters.

Yes were talking about supermoto MPG... 55mpg is pretty good! 49-51 barking on it sounds good to me. By the end of this decade we will be on par with the europeans with gas prices. The signs are all around us.

No matter what the nay sayers.. yes car lovers say? They will never be able to fill the gap with electric cars. Once everyone get on electric... electric billing will be super high!!! Plus it will always have a limited range.

The bike is the future in my opinion. And the SuperMoto is the ultra of fighting the streets, as there will be many cars out there to watch out for.

America becoming like Europe... Love it.

The little car revolution is on its way... Next its the bike. The best street fighter is the 690 KTM, followed by Husqvarna 610, followed by Honda XR650R, then the DRZ400. These are the street fighter motos that should be collected first in my book. In that order.

I think the 450smr is a better choice then the 690, its lighter and IMO way more fun to throw around, yes the 690 has more wow factor, and more grunt, but a good 450 is no slouch! Also I own a 450SMR so I am biased...LOL

I think the 450smr is a better choice then the 690, its lighter and IMO way more fun to throw around, yes the 690 has more wow factor, and more grunt, but a good 450 is no slouch! Also I own a 450SMR so I am biased...LOL

The big supermoto vs the Small supermoto would be another topic. Anything in the 600cc range I consider the big superMoto bikes. I give KTM highest rank here.

Small bore 450cc to 550cc I rank Husqvarna as the best/top of the list!

I'm with you... I think a 450 is a much better race bike than a 510. Why? Because it has grunt and it revs harder than the bigger bores. In the right hands its even faster than 500 plus cc bikes on the track.

what!? only one mention of plated wr 400/426? i have 2 cali plated wr's and will be keeping them as long as i possibly can! these bikes are amazing.

what!? only one mention of plated wr 400/426? i have 2 cali plated wr's and will be keeping them as long as i possibly can! these bikes are amazing.

426/400 yamaha? Greate bike! A little under power coming off the conners in stock from. Five valve head, a little priceeee doing a top end. And she turns a little slow. But greate bike! Have you race her? If so, were did place.

First Japan bike to be a 4st race bike. Should be a classic on that alone.

have yet to race it. was in a really bad accident shortly after finishing setting it up so i have been down for a while. but i will be as soon as i can and that is all that counts hahah. and top end jobs with a high comp piston are still less than 200 dollars. that isnt expensive at all man. and 15/47 gearing on the supermoto wheels and that thing is anything but slow coming out of corners hahah.

have yet to race it. was in a really bad accident shortly after finishing setting it up so i have been down for a while. but i will be as soon as i can and that is all that counts hahah. and top end jobs with a high comp piston are still less than 200 dollars. that isnt expensive at all man. and 15/47 gearing on the supermoto wheels and that thing is anything but slow coming out of corners hahah.

Ok maybe that was the wrong choice of words. Four-five-oh's usually are stronger coming out the conners. But if you work hard you can fight them off.

That's the only 400/426 weakness to a 450... That's what I meant.

Yamaha are known to to be set up for stability. MX it works... In supermoto I think you'd need different off set. But yamaha is up there on the collection box for sure. As time pass well know right? I think yamah has the strongest valve design. Solid engines!