Sign in to follow this  

Will this valve spring compressor work on XR

Yes that compressor should work, they can be finicky... just make sure the bottom hooks go under the lowest possible spring loop and the upper tangs go on top of the highest possible spring loop or the top disc/dish thing. Also the valve keepers/cotters are held in place by the tension between the disc and the valve stem, so as soon as there is some clearance, remove the keepers and release the tension on the compressor.

I couldn't get it to work on my xr400. It has two valve springs, one inside the other. There is no way to compress the inner spring with this tool. Besides that fact I couldn't even get it on the spring in the first place, It was too big and wouldn't fit.

I couldn't get it to work on my xr400. It has two valve springs, one inside the other. There is no way to compress the inner spring with this tool. Besides that fact I couldn't even get it on the spring in the first place, It was too big and wouldn't fit.

so what compressor will work?

Ive used one like that on a 400ex. It was a pain in the ass and I had to mod it a little to work.

I would try to get the one red47403 posted, im sure you can rent one from the autoparts store for free.

The best deal I found was a valve spring compressor on Amazon.com for $35. The key to this tool is it screws in from both ends, not just one end. Looking at my Chilton manual, I realized most spring compressors would not work.

This video is annoying in the video is on it's side, but the use of zip ties is excellent! I now plan on using this method. Be sure to follow his instructions.

Notice the zip tie does not go out the end of the spring, but through the coils.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_qqtkfpLlu8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The zip tie is awesome! I used a large box wrench and a helper. I'll use zip ties and or big clamp going back.

Thanks!

ride-on

The best deal I found was a valve spring compressor on Amazon.com for $35. The key to this tool is it screws in from both ends, not just one end. Looking at my Chilton manual, I realized most spring compressors would not work.

This video is annoying in the video is on it's side, but the use of zip ties is excellent! I now plan on using this method. Be sure to follow his instructions.

Notice the zip tie does not go out the end of the spring, but through the coils.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_qqtkfpLlu8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That... was... AMAZING:worthy::ride::worthy:

In a pinch [no pun intended] I made these a couple years ago .

Took an old set of vise grip clamps , did a little cutting and welding and bam.

They work great for the XR heads.

E-Bay081.jpg