Pic Request - bracket on top of Clarke 3.9 tank

Hi,

I got a used Clarke tank off the forum, but the guy didn't include the "spine plate" so there's nothing to hook the front of the seat into. Can someone please post a couple pictures of what it's supposed to look like so I can try and fab something up.

I basically have a bare plastic tank & cap, should there be any any other hardware I need for the install ?

Thanks

Hi there.

These pictures are from an S, but should be similar to the SM model.

The seat clip is simply a rectangular piece of aluminum that bolts on to the tank about mid-way up. Very simple. I had to put a bit of a curve in mine to get the seat on easier. It measures 2" x 3/4":

IMG-20110531-00035.jpg

Other than that, the back bolts on using the stock tank bolts. The rubber grommet and metal sleeve come off the stock tank (if I remember correctly):

IMG-20110531-00037.jpg

Be careful with the shroud bolts. My tank came with some screws, which suggests that the stock bolts may be too long. Just measure the depth of the inserts before you crank in a bolt. The stock bolts may be fine (different thread maybe?). The bolts that came with the tank have a 9/16" long threaded portion.

The only other piece of hardware is a long, stiff wire that connects to the tank at the front and goes around the frame to stabilize it. Some people leave it off, but one could easily be fabbed up if you need it. This pic shows the bar. I just goes in front of the frame and connects to the other side. The bar that came with it was bent into a slight "V" shape to get past the frame:

IMG-20110531-00038.jpg

I hope this helps!

Edited by Mr. C
Hi,

I got a used Clarke tank off the forum, but the guy didn't include the "spine plate" so there's nothing to hook the front of the seat into. Can someone please post a couple pictures of what it's supposed to look like so I can try and fab something up.

I basically have a bare plastic tank & cap, should there be any any other hardware I need for the install ?

Thanks

What model drz?

It's a 2006 drz 400 sm, but there's no difference between the s an sm, just the e has a different tank.

Thanks a ton for those pictures and the dimensions on the aluminum piece Mr C !!

Should be easy enough to fab up. I'd found an older post (without pictures) that said Clarke called it a spine bracket? which made it sound a lot more complicated.

No worries! Maybe the "spine bracket" has changed over the years, but simply seems better to me in this case!

Good luck.:smirk:

what abouty the smog, my tank has no port in the back of the tank

what abouty the smog, my tank has no port in the back of the tank

Two choices follow the rules laid out by the agency you subject yourself to by living there .....CARB,, and get that illegal tank off your bike.

Or, remove the vapor remover system from your bike.

ok so i guess i remove the canister i travel aways and need the mileage. okie dokie smog search here i come

ok so i guess i remove the canister i travel aways and need the mileage. okie dokie smog search here i come

LOL.. good choice :thumbsup:

thanks and be safe , thanks for what you do for our country:banana: