Sign in to follow this  

Motocross The proper way to throw away a race!

I know this is a dirtbike forum... but do any of you watch Indy car racing. The Indy 500 is the biggest race in the world. I find it more exciting than Neck-Car.

Anyways, its tough to win this race, but a rookie, JC Hildebrand was leading the race on lap 199 of 200 with 4 simple left turns to go to become a legend.

The rookie goes right through the first three turns, then is about 300 yards and maybe 4 seconds from the ultimate victory in motorsports....

the, he gets too wide passing a lapped rider and smacks the wall, destroying his car. He was 300 yards from the checkered flag. The second place guy passes him while his busted up car and its pieces skid across the finish line in second.

http://awfulannouncing.com/2011-articles/may/video-amazing-indy-500-finish.html

At any rate, watching it made me immediately think of Steward at Daytona. But even Stewart didn't throw away a race that bad.

I know this is a dirtbike forum... but do any of you watch Indy car racing. The Indy 500 is the biggest race in the world. I find it more exciting than Neck-Car.

Anyways, its tough to win this race, but a rookie, JC Hildebrand was leading the race on lap 199 of 200 with 4 simple left turns to go to become a legend.

The rookie goes right through the first three turns, then is about 300 yards and maybe 4 seconds from the ultimate victory in motorsports....

the, he gets too wide passing a lapped rider and smacks the wall, destroying his car. He was 300 yards from the checkered flag. The second place guy passes him while his busted up car and its pieces skid across the finish line in second.

http://awfulannouncing.com/2011-articles/may/video-amazing-indy-500-finish.html

At any rate, watching it made me immediately think of Steward at Daytona. But even Stewart didn't throw away a race that bad.

Local kid from Sausalito, CA which used to be my hometown, we were rooting for JR big time! Just a rookie move and being a rookie getting 2nd place is not bad.:smirk:

Yeah that was terrible. Threw it away in the LAST CORNER of the Indy 500!!! Amazing...

What a wierd weekend for motorsports. Dale Jr. running out of gas while leading on the last lap. Hildebrant crashing while leading on the last lap. And Dungey's bike malfunctioning while leading with 2 laps to go.

Well it used to be the biggest race in the world. Now its a 2nd rate open wheel NASCAR event (how its perceived Globally that is). To this day I still don’t get why Tony Gorge wanted to get into a pissing match with CART. In the end it killed CART and the Indy 500 is a pale representation of what it used to represent. To bad...

Well it used to be the biggest race in the world. Now its a 2nd rate open wheel NASCAR event (how its perceived Globally that is). To this day I still don’t get why Tony Gorge wanted to get into a pissing match with CART. In the end it killed CART and the Indy 500 is a pale representation of what it used to represent. To bad...

Agree :smirk:

Indy had all the big name and high profile racers. Those guys were almost household names (Andretti, Unser, Fittipaldi, Foyt). That pissing contest with CART killed half of the big name sponsors and split the riders into two different leagues (stupid). I'm not sure anyone won that battle.

But, races like yesterday definitely peaks more interest.

Strange finishes indeed... I can't believe the crewchief of H. (especially him being a rookie) didn't tell him to back-off and follow the lapper through the

corner...they knew how big a lead he had... also kind of blame the lapper, move down on the apron for gods sake, no one wants to see you in the winner's photo...:smirk:

WOW!!! Rookie mistake, and the crewchief should have coached him to back it down, rumor was turn 4 was impossible around the outside at fullspeed......

Poor kid. Hopefully not his Once In a Lifetime chance......

Having lived in Indy for a few years back in the 90's your assesment is 100% correct!

Having lived in Indy for a few years back in the 90's your assesment is 100% correct!

It's funny you said that, as I was wondering how the locals would see the impact. Like I said it's such a shame.

What a wierd weekend for motorsports. Dale Jr. running out of gas while leading on the last lap. Hildebrant crashing while leading on the last lap.

More wierdness; both cars were sponsored by National Guard and both drivers have "JR" in their name.

It's funny you said that, as I was wondering how the locals would see the impact. Like I said it's such a shame.

Im not a local , but I havent watched that race ever since the fall out , they ruined the biggest auto race in the world

that was the crazy that that happen, it was weird me and my brother and dad were watching it and i called that he was gonna crash in the last corner (jokinly) and it happen, played the lottery that day and didnt win :smirk:

Watching Indy as they started that last lap, I turned to my wife and said "something always happens on the last lap." Then a few hours later watching Charlotte, I said "watch this... it'll happen again."

It ain't rocket science. It's just about predicatable, though.

-Kerry

Agree :smirk:

Indy had all the big name and high profile racers. Those guys were almost household names (Andretti, Unser, Fittipaldi, Foyt). That pissing contest with CART killed half of the big name sponsors and split the riders into two different leagues (stupid). I'm not sure anyone won that battle.

But, races like yesterday definitely peaks more interest.

I started going to Indy in '85 with my dad and those were great days for the sport. There were 3-4 different engines, 3-4 different chassis all the legendary racers were still racing and great young drivers were coming into their own. There was over 60 cars trying to make the field & qualifying took 2 full weekends.The last time I went to Indy was 2000 and it was a shadow of what it was from when I started attending. Now theres a single engine/chassis package and so few cars are trying to make the field that qualifying is only one weekend. I rarely even tune in anymore...

Nascar is really one chassis also ... 2-3 engine builders? lol ... They have some very questionable caution flags and way too may green-white-checker finishes ....

Its so obvious most races everyone is just driving waiting for the final 2 laps so they can wake up and crash ... Pretty amazing Jimmy has won so many in a row also ...

One other point ... Nascar will crush a small racer if given the chance ...

I never really knew what happened to the Indy race ... it just appeared to me, the casual viewer, that all the racers I knew just left and it turned into a group of unknown (to me) EU guys or whatever racing ..

Off topic form the thread. But speaking of “biggest race in the world” -in current times that is. Any thoughts on what still holds the coveted relevance?

My top 3 picks:

Global:

Lemans 24 hr

F1 Monaco

Dakar

North America:

Daytona Nascar

Daytona 24hr

Baja

Off topic form the thread. But speaking of “biggest race in the world” -in current times that is. Any thoughts on what still holds the coveted relevance?

My top 3 picks:

Global:

Lemans 24 hr

F1 Monaco

Dakar

North America:

Daytona Nascar

Daytona 24hr

Baja

lemans is this month! :smirk:

Yeah man, that was -CRAZY-!!!! Last lap, last turn, and into the -WALL-!!!! Felt so bad for that dude, figured that lapper could have been gotten around, etc. What a race, and thank god it didn't turn into a Danica show. Three/four years ago and for a few years, you wouldn't have known there were any other racers in the race, they wouldn't shut up about that chick. Also, is Danica going to be a bimbo or a race car driver? In the least, godaddy seems to have dropped off some of the bimbo angle, to me sure she's good looking but don't care about that crap on race day- be a bimbo or a race car driver, not both Danica.

• Like 1

Yeah man, that was -CRAZY-!!!! Last lap, last turn, and into the -WALL-!!!! Felt so bad for that dude, figured that lapper could have been gotten around, etc. What a race, and thank god it didn't turn into a Danica show. Three/four years ago and for a few years, you wouldn't have known there were any other racers in the race, they wouldn't shut up about that chick. Also, is Danica going to be a bimbo or a race car driver? In the least, godaddy seems to have dropped off some of the bimbo angle, to me sure she's good looking but don't care about that crap on race day- be a bimbo or a race car driver, not both Danica.

Danica was exactly what Indy car racing needed. It was a dying and boring series. At least she's a household name now. THey owe her for that.

I don't think there's anything wrong with Danica. She's good for the sport. She brings women viewers and a few men who want to see her in a bikini. I will not knock anyone who finds a way to sell themselves. She does it exceptionally well.

I like her best when she was arguing with the other chick a couple of years ago about cutting her off in practice. I was hoping for a real catfight, but they didn't get that far.

She's flirting with switching to NASCAR. Why not? The big time sponsors are there.