Sign in to follow this  

Engine Seized- What now?

Hello everyone,

I was cruising through the woods yesterday and out of nowhere my bike stalled coming out of a corner. It felt like it was a gear too high and stalled from too low RPMs. I electric started it up and rolled about 10 feet and it stalled again. I tried to start again, but e-start did not have enough power to turn over. Pulled out the kick start, but it was locked up so I did not force it further. Long story short, the oil plug was gone so I lost all the oil. I have not done anything to the bike since. How do i handle this now? The bike is a 2008 KTM xcf-w.

Also, what parts can I go ahead and order at this time? Piston kit, top end gaskets, oil plug (obviously) :smirk:

Hello everyone,

I was cruising through the woods yesterday and out of nowhere my bike stalled coming out of a corner. It felt like it was a gear too high and stalled from too low RPMs. I electric started it up and rolled about 10 feet and it stalled again. I tried to start again, but e-start did not have enough power to turn over. Pulled out the kick start, but it was locked up so I did not force it further. Long story short, the oil plug was gone so I lost all the oil. I have not done anything to the bike since. How do i handle this now? The bike is a 2008 KTM xcf-w.

Also, what parts can I go ahead and order at this time? Piston kit, top end gaskets, oil plug (obviously) :smirk:

Don't spend a dime until you know what's damaged.

Conversely, buy a replacement engine.

I have never taken a seized engine apart. Do I remove the plug, spray some WD-40, and try to move the piston down? Or what is the proper way to take it apart now?

you have to take the head apart. It doesnt sound like you know enough about it to take it apart yourself, your gonna end up paying for a rebuild or buy a new engine as said above.

I have taken the engine apart before, measured, changed pistons, rings, etc. I just have never worked with a seized engine.

I guess the question I am concerned is how to best remove seized piston from the cylinder sleeve?

dump tranny fluid in the cylinder and let it soak in, maybe even overnight. Use a rubber mallet / block of wood and hammer it to loosen. Hopefully the piston isnt welded to the cylinder.

dump tranny fluid in the cylinder and let it soak in, maybe even overnight. Use a rubber mallet / block of wood and hammer it to loosen. Hopefully the piston isnt welded to the cylinder.

Good deal! Will soak it it tonight and try loosening it tomorrow. Report to come :smirk:

It's likely the cams seized, not the piston

You can only assume worst case scenario without further digging into the engine. I've had pistons that had to be drilled out because they had welded themselves to the cylinder. Not fun, especially when trying to remove the cylinder, because you can't get it out. Had to take the whole engine to a shop.

And as always, be sure to check your nuts when it's all back together :smirk: