Sign in to follow this  

Central City Colorado riding area....

Howdy.

Looking for any info on the Central City/Alice OHV area.

I'm planning on a ride from Idaho-Springs to Central City (if possible) and I'd like to know if anybody has done it.

Took a ride in the car to scout out the ride. I started in Idaho Springs up Fal River Road. Seems like I had to drive all the way up Fall River before I saw anything that looked like riding. First question, Is this the correct trail-head??

after I drove around up on the Alice side of the area, I went through Idaho-Springs and took Oh-My road over to Central City. Once in CC, I found what looked like riding at the top of Apex Road (at least I saw a bunch of people with quads loading and unloading) Second question, Is there any single track out there??

So, how about some help regarding riding Central City /Alice???

Thanks

TPD

We stopped and did this ride when we travelled from Ohio to ride a week in Moab. We had a great lunch at Jiggies Cafe in Idaho Springs and then they were kind enough to let us leave our truck/trailer in their parking lot for a couple hours. The link below was the route we used.

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=149

You can also ride Russle Gulch trail which is mentioned on that same site. Both of those routes were easy well scenic jeep trails. There are plenty of old mines to explore along the way. I don't know about legit single in that area.

There is not true single track that I know of up there, but there are a lot of trails that meander around and connect with each other. Unfortunately there are not a lot of good parking at the trail heads (except around the cemeterys just outside of Central City) All the roads in and around Alice require a plate to be legal (this includes 4x4 vehicles) Its all pretty good riding, not terribly hard but not terribly easy either.

A few pictures.

stmarysglacier.jpg

Oposite side of the glacier (where the arrow is pointing in the first picture)

08-25-07_1012.jpg

typical idea what the trail looks like above timber line.

0830091219b.jpg

0830091813b.jpg

0830091336b.jpg

Dual sport tracks (in google earth) to some surrounding trails accecable from idaho springs.

IdahoSpringsGoogleearth.jpg

I ride that area several times per month. My family owns some land off of Virginia Canyon Rd in Idaho Springs. You can ride to St Marys/Alice but you will need to be plated. On your way to Alice/St Marys stay towards the left. There are some fun trails near Chinns Lake. There are also some really neat and secluded camp sites. I don't think you can get there in a car. I am mostly on my 450X but my truck made it without any problems.

i just started learning my way around that area... i park at the cemeteries as well. made a nice 30 mile ride. found a GIANT hill (or mountain) climb, and rode thru some deeeep snow drifts as well! lol had a blast! i hear i havent even touched whats up there. looking to navigate some more soon!, plus i work in black hawk, so thats a plus too!

Here are a few more pics of a satilite view of the area. Of course if you park outside of central city you have to find your way over here but this shows you one of many ways you can sort of loop around. Where the tracks stop is where you need to have a plate. These particular places there is NO parking and they start right next to a residential area.

googleearthkingstonpeak.jpg

googleearthkingstonpeakzoomed.jpg

This is a layed down view looking north after a dual sport ride, included is a trip over to Chins lake as well

Kingstonpeakgoogleearth.jpg

Here is part of the trail up near the "top" of Kingston Peak

Kingstonetrail.jpg

I was up there riding today. I access the trails by going up Fall river road about a mile or so from I-70 to a right up York Gulch Hill road. At the very top is a place to park on the left with the trails starting there (if your trailering the bike). It dose not take too long before you hit water and snow (higher). It still will need a few more weeks at least of melting to get up higher and to make the loops, a lot longer.

Edited by jcbikes

I was going to sugest going up York Gulch road and parking at the intersection of Pisgah road. The parking area is not very big though. Usually its not until mid July before all the snow is gone from the trails.

Was up there yesterday.

+1 for snow.... still needs a few more weeks before all the roads will be passable.

Other thing's the water crossings - some of them are really moving right now. Careful out there.

DSC06608.jpg

DSC06602.jpg

thanks for the report. I usually don't even try to head up there until July for those reasons.

The snow pack is really high this year. @SnowMule, where was the bottom picture taken roughly?

The snow pack is really high this year. @SnowMule, where was the bottom picture taken roughly?

Yep, that's why tehre's still people snowmobiling right now :ride:

Pic taken just off Apex Valley and Broomfield Gulch Road: 39°50'25.39"N, 105°34'26.43"W.

Anyone been up there in the past couple days? Thinking of heading up there tomorrow, and I'm wondering if there is still too much snow to get over Kingston Peak.

Started up Kingston Peak today from the east side. Hit a 6 ft snow drift just after the area with the two big puddles. Going to be a couple more weeks on that one. Some of the lower trails were clear, and the trails outside Apex were mostly dry. The creeks are running really high.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By J.P.C.
      2014 New Edition KLR650
      Ridden mostly on-road commuting to work.

5900 miles (will increase as I am still riding it)
      Thermo bob 2
      EM Doo hickey & torsion spring
      JNS skid plate
      SW Motech crash bars
      SW Motech center stand
      Moose luggage racks
      Pelican 1550 cases with Caribou case liners
      MadStad windscreen
      LeoVince exhaust
      Pro taper evo handlebars 
      Uni air filter
      Touratech headlight guard 
      HTP master cylinder guard
      New Bridgestone Trail Wing tires
      LED dash lights
      Aprilia mirrors
      Top gun 7.4kg rear shock spring
      Jetted for 8000 ft altitude (140 main)

Extra Parts included:
      Stock Exhaust
      Stock Tires (only approx 200 miles on these before I changed them)
      Stock Windscreen
      Stock Hand guards
      Stock Skid plate
      Stock Mirrors
      16t sprocket
      Stock Rear shock spring
      Carb jets: 138, 142.5, 145

Bike has been taken care of. Only damage is 2 small scratches on tank from leaning against it with belt buckle. Has been stored outside, but covered.
    • By NPWR250
      Does anyone have the individual trail lenghts of trails in the popular Moab ares...
      Sand Flats, White Wash, Sovereign, Prichett Canyon/Kane creek, Poison Spider/ Gemini Bridges areas.
      Trying to figure out a fuel statagey. We will be trailering to the differnt trail heads each day.
      2 of the bikes only have a 60 mile range

Thanks, Shawn
    • By cjjeepercreeper
      WYOMING - Teton County Commissioners Meeting on Wyoming Public Lands Initiative
      Dear Action Alert Subscriber,
      We just received an urgent alert from one of our Wyoming partners, Advocates for Multi-Use of Public Lands (AMPL) asking for our help to get the word out regarding the upcoming Teton County Commissioners meeting on the Wyoming Public Lands Initiative (WPLI). This meeting takes place Tuesday, October 9, 2018, at 9:00 am in the BCC chambers at 200 South Willow Street, Jackson, Wyoming. Your help is needed on this extremely urgent issue. TAKE ACTION NOW!
      We've pasted AMPL's alert below. Please take a minute to read the email, take action and then pass this along to friends, family and riding buddies.
      Thanks in advance and, as always, if you have any questions or concerns, please contact BRC.
      Ric Foster
      Policy Director
      Sharetrails.org/BlueRibbon Coalition
      208-237-1008 ext. 2
      CALL TO ACTION!
      Teton County WPLI Process: We Need Your Voice!
      Our Teton County Commissioners are holding the final public hearing to vote on the land use designations of the Palisades and Shoal Creek WSA's, and more of your public lands next week. The Commissioners have taken the fate of the WPLI (Wyoming Public Land Initiative) into their own hands, and are voting on whether or not to create 173,000 new acres of new Wilderness, make the Shoal Creek WSA a Wilderness area and keep the Palisades in a WSA.  This proposal would END ACCESS to over 1/3 of the remaining lands in Teton County open to snowmobiling, mountain biking and dirt biking. This meeting takes place Tuesday, October 9th at 9am in the BCC chambers at 200 South Willow Street.  We need you to attend this meeting, write your Commissioners and to show your support AGAINST this new proposal. 

In August the WPLI, a board of volunteers, appointed by the County Commissioners, took three proposals to a vote. These proposals and the resulting vote was the culmination of over two years of hard work by all these dedicated individuals. Ultimately no consensus was met, but the three proposals showed collaboration and transparency by the different user groups' goals and objectives.  
      The WPLI was formed by a charter as a state initiative enacted by the WCCA (Wyoming County Commissioners Association). That charter states that a 100% consensus had to be met to determine the fate of the Wilderness Study Areas in the affected counties. Since the Teton County WPLI did not reach a consensus, our Commissioners created new rules to try to reach a decision. Our Commissioners enacted that if the committee voted in favor on a proposal by a 2/3 majority, the Commissioners would then take that proposal forward to a vote and if passed would present it to the WCCA. So, since the August WPLI vote, the Commissioners have a new proposal; that proposal got the exactly 2/3 majority vote from the special interest conservation stacked 18 member WPLI board last week. This proposal is an entirely different proposal than the three proposals that the WPLI put forth to a vote in August.  
      Our Commissioners are disregarding the public process of the WPLI and re-writing rules to push forth their agenda to close your public lands to mechanized and motorized recreation access. Next week's meeting is a critical time to make your voice heard - as this meeting is where the BCC will vote on whether or not to advance the final proposal that received exactly a 2/3 support from the committee but zero support from the mechanized or motorized representatives.  This proposal creates 173,000 new acres of Wilderness, makes the Shoal Creak WSA a new Wilderness and leaves the Palisades as a WSA.
      Highlights of the new WPLI proposal:
      •     Would result in the largest loss of Teton County Multi-Use land in 34 years, and would shut out mechanized and motorized recreation on 173,000 acres.
      •     Leaves the Palisades as a Wilderness Study Area, which keeps the door open for conservation groups to continue to sue the BTNF to push out user groups, such as snowmobiling and mountain biking.
      •     Turns the Shoal Creek WSA into Wilderness, thus closing it to snowmobiling, dirt biking and mountain biking access.
      •     Closes over 100,000 acres of popular cross-country snowmobile terrain in the Mt. Leidy area.
      •     Creates in total 173,000 acres of new Wilderness in Teton County.  
      •     Leaves 71,000 acres in Wilderness Study Areas instead of trying to designate productive uses for these "temporary" designations, which have been in place for over 34 years.  
      What to do? We need your voice!  
      Please email your commissioners at commissioners@tetoncountywy.gov that you are not in favor of this new proposal and mark your calendars to show up Tuesday, October 9th 9:00 am in the BCC chambers.  
      Here are some talking points to send your commissioners:
      •      I am not in favor of the new WPLI proposal you are putting forth to vote next week.  This proposal closes off access to lands that I value for multi-use recreation: including mountain biking, dirt biking and snowmobiling.
      •      I find value personally, for our local and state economy and local businesses to keep these lands open to mechanized and motorized recreational opportunities.  
      •     82% of the public lands in Teton County are already protected and closed to motorized and mechanized recreation. I want to keep the remaining public lands in Teton County open for snowmobiling, mountain biking and dirt biking.
    • By SnowMule
      Colorado Snowmobile Expo is this weekend at the National Western complex.  (Snowbikes too!)
      https://www.cosnowmobileexpo.com/
      Tickets are $10 at the door, $8 on the website, or print the one-dollar-off coupon to use at the door if you don't want to buy online.
      Vendor booths, product demos, free workshops, pro-rider meet-and-greet. 
      I'll be there with the Tyler's Backcountry Awareness crew all weekend, stop by and check out the new avalanche gear/equipment, try your skills at beacon rescue. 
      Also giving a workshop saturday afternoon on radio communications in the backcountry. 

• By ITLKSEZ
      Anyone out there? I ride the state line quite a bit, and finding riding buddies on the ID side is a challenge. I'll be up on the MT side clearing trail early on Sunday morning...