Big Bike Smoker or Thumper?

I can't decide what my next bike will be. Getting a new bike in December (grad gift to myself) so I have some time to think about it.

I'm 21, will be 22 in December, and about a 150lb slow B rider. Right now I ride a 250F. I either want a 450 or a 250 two-stroke. While the little thumper is fun, you have to work it to do stuff with it. Im getting old and just want to play ride :smirk:

I've ridden a few 450's and damn those things are quick! 08 Honda and a 10 Suzuki. Both turned pretty well but you can tell they were heavier than my 250. I don't know if I just need time to adjust to a 450, or if its something you really have to muscle around? I've never ridden one of the new generation Honda's, but I've been told they feel a lot like a 250F, handling wise? So if I can find one of those to spin a few laps on, that would be cool.

I recently just rode a YZ250 and that was tons of fun! Having never ridden a 250 two-stoke before I was kinda slow on it, but I tried to ride it somewhat like a 125; WFO. Its got way more balls than a 250F, but it's still short of a 450. It was a lot of fun and sounds badass when you are ripping. I was just worried about the rideability of it when track conditions are not ideal - sloppy or really dry and hard packed? are they still fun when you can't come in to a corner and knife the throttle?

A KTM350 would be cool if it had a bit more power, but not $9k cool haha.

Would probably have to ride red just because I know Honda's very well so working on one would be easy. Also, I am so used to the Honda chassis that the YZ I rode felt rigid and tall. I'm sure it's something I could get used too, but I know I could hop on a Honda and feel at home.

I have both, a 250 smoker and a 450. They are different but fun. I am faster on the 450, but I have permagrin while riding the 250. i also get les tired on the 250. I also have an old yz490 , that gives me a permasumthin else.

Ben - quick question,

How do you like the turning on your 1998 YZ250? sounds nice! I heard they turned as good or better than Honda's did that year? How is the bottom end power on that bike?

Ben - quick question,

How do you like the turning on your 1998 YZ250? sounds nice! I heard they turned as good or better than Honda's did that year? How is the bottom end power on that bike?

I am still getting use to it. My friends that I ride with say I am just as fast on it as I am on the Kawi. (not that that is saying much :smirk:) I was pleasantly surprised at the bottom end on it, It has 14-47 gearing for the desert and I have to say it works well. The KLX450 has great bottom end and I don't find myself struggling between the two bikes powerbands. The YZ doesn't have much overrev, I am told if I put a 97 ignition on it, it will have mucho top end, but lose the bottom.