Capitol forest

Washington

How are the conditions at Capital forest trail system? Anyone riding there this weekend? If so let me Know?

I'm interested too. I'm guessing this is the closest riding area to Seattle? Only about a one hour drive.

Yeah it is close and it does have a variety of riding terrain. IMO Rock Candy is the best staging, the Wadell staging areas put you right in the middle of the Wadell Creek "brown ice".

The clay is slick, but the trails are drying up nicely. Still some puddling , not bad though. Went 3-4 days ago.. Much better then 2 weeks ago :smirk:

I rode there for the first time a couple of weeks ago. it was pretty slick but i had fun, looking to go back again when it dries out a bit.

Yeah it is close and it does have a variety of riding terrain. IMO Rock Candy is the best staging, the Wadell staging areas put you right in the middle of the Wadell Creek "brown ice".

Even worse, the wadell creek area is now known as "Quadhell creek" :smirk: in addition to the brown ice.

Joe

Can't you access the trail system from the ORV park? I've always parked at Rock Candy and have always expected to come back to a broken window and looted truck. It's never happened to me,but I've heard of it. The price of admission to the park would be well worth it for some peace of mind. At least it would be to me.

Can't you access the trail system from the ORV park? I've always parked at Rock Candy and have always expected to come back to a broken window and looted truck. It's never happened to me,but I've heard of it. The price of admission to the park would be well worth it for some peace of mind. At least it would be to me.

When I used to ride there 10 or so years ago, I always paid the $5 to park inside the ORV Park for security. I would exit the gate to hit the trails and always wound up coming back from the forest down that long hill into the south side of the Park.

The trails are accessible from Straddleline. Last summer during a week day ride some in our group experienced car burglary at Rock Candy. We arrived back at Rock Candy to find the police investigating, along with DNR employees cleaning up the broken glass. Impressive response. Weekend riding should be less risky because of increased activity in the parking lot. I think the problem with Rock Candy is it is too close to Olympia, but it is still my preferred staging area.

The trails are accessible from Straddleline. Last summer during a week day ride some in our group experienced car burglary at Rock Candy. We arrived back at Rock Candy to find the police investigating, along with DNR employees cleaning up the broken glass. Impressive response. Weekend riding should be less risky because of increased activity in the parking lot. I think the problem with Rock Candy is it is too close to Olympia, but it is still my preferred staging area.

That coupled with the fact that the parking lot is just far enough in to be out of sight,but realitivly close to a high speed highway for a quick getaway. :smirk:

To park inside the gate at Straddleline and to use their trail system is $5.00.

You can access the Capitol Forest Trail System about 100 yards up the road from the sign in booth at the ORV Park. So yes you can get to the trails from the park.

It is a little farther, but I like to go in at the Porter Creek enterance. I have never had any problems there over the years, and on that side you hardly:banana: ever see any quadtards until you get near Waddle Creek or Rock Candy. Quadtrads do not seem to travel to far from thoses two areas. The trails are a little narrower (but not much) on that side also.:smirk:

To park inside the gate at Straddleline and to use their trail system is $5.00.

You can access the Capitol Forest Trail System about 100 yards up the road from the sign in booth at the ORV Park. So yes you can get to the trails from the park.

Not to mention the $5 goes to our cause so to speak.

I am deciding between this and the Golden Spike this weekend. I'll make my mind up at the last minute. Anyone know if there are trail maps at Straddleline?

Greg

Edited by NumberCruncher

I don't know about maps at Straddleline but Summit Grocery sells the DNR Trail map for CF. Summit Grocery exit is just over 2 1/2" miles west of the Shelton exit (WA 101).

The DNR website has downloadable maps, but depending on your printer they may not be waterproof. :smirk:

I called the straddline info number and they said that they have maps.

I am deciding between this and the Golden Spike this weekend. I'll make my mind up at the last minute.

Greg

Well... I am a bit biased here, but I'd say race the Goldenspike, a once yr event and CF for the rest of the summer. With the weather calling for nice riding temps, the race would be fun... and you could ride CF on Sunday with equally good weather.

go to the spike.if i could go i would.had a great time with my son last year.not a race to miss imo.you will have a story to tell after the race vs a trail ride.which will soon go away in the wash............my 2 cents..........

Anyone goin out tomorow?

Went out today to Rock Candy; the parking lot was packed. What a crowd, mostly quads; good news is we saw only a few outside the staging area. Must be because today was really the first really nice weekend day this spring.

Sunday should be even nicer.:ride:

Anyone goin out tomorow?

you and chuck?:ride: