08 kx250f advice/help needed

So I got a 08 kx250f a few months ago after riding hondas for the last few years and I hope I made a good decesion. So here's where I'm having trouble..... Go to a private track yesterday and it had about a 45 foot step with a prety long up hill leading up to it. So I roll it a few times to get used to it then pin third going for it and still cased this thing bad!!! So I go down for a second go thinking I may have let off the trottle and still case but not as bad. I could just make it by leaning back real far but I thought it should clear it fine third pinned?? The only reason I'm not hitting fourth is because I have no time at all. Third gear is just like peaking out befor I take off? On the honda I could hit fourth if I wanted too.

By the way my gearing is 13-48, pro circuit ti-4 exhaust and no motor mods

I'm questioning changing the gearing or does the motor need a rebuild?? The bike is strong and left me stumped!!

What pissed me off is I got on my 06 crf250 with only fmf slip ons and could clear it in third no problem at all. gearing on the Honda is 13-52

If anyone can throw me some advice on maybe what I can do to the bike to put more power out or maybe I just have the wrong gearing?!?

Thanks nick and sorry for the long message

im not an expert but i think you answered your own question with the gearing statements. i bet if you jumped up to a 50 you could get into 4th. just a thought.

Unless you're a pro, running a 48 in the rear has no benefits. Go up to a 49 and you should be able to get into 4th in time.

^.......+1...:thumbsup:the 49 rear sprocket makes a big difference........

theres a possibility the clutch is slipping also and causing loss of power.. make you feel like you're needing another gear.. 13/48 in third gear is fast!!!!!

Thanks for the advice guys. Saved me a lot of time and money trying out all different sizes.

I had 13-48 because I thought i saw some where that was stock for them?

13/48 is stock but it's not the best ratio for intermediate riders..

I would take a look at the possibility of a slipping clutch.. Springs maybe going out or clutch pack is going bad.. my 07 did the same thing as you described felt like I need another gear when it was just the clutch..

I would take a look at the possibility of a slipping clutch.. Springs maybe going out or clutch pack is going bad.. my 07 did the same thing as you described felt like I need another gear when it was just the clutch..

okay so i might just order a clutch kit just to have even if its not the problem. i like having the parts incase of something anyways. what clutch kit do you recommend?

oem to be honest but it's not cheap.. DP is good.. I just put a rocky mountain atv tusk clutch kit in my 2011 but it was only put in for a temp for practice till our LL regional where we will put in a new DP clutch in it.. then if we make it down to LLs the dp will come out and back in the tusk for practice and then at LLs back to the DP..

id say buy a tusk clutch install it and see if it helps. make sure you install the metal plates with the sharp edge facing away from the motor or towards the clutch cover.. Replace the springs with oem springs don't use those springs from the tusk clutch they suck..

a dp clutch is around 200 bucks, but the tusk is only 40 something.. atleast you can run that and see if it resolves your problem.. Be forwarned the first time I used a tusk clutch kit I put the steel plates in wrong and it slipped like snot so make sure you install it right.

oem to be honest but it's not cheap.. DP is good.. I just put a rocky mountain atv tusk clutch kit in my 2011 but it was only put in for a temp for practice till our LL regional where we will put in a new DP clutch in it.. then if we make it down to LLs the dp will come out and back in the tusk for practice and then at LLs back to the DP..

id say buy a tusk clutch install it and see if it helps. make sure you install the metal plates with the sharp edge facing away from the motor or towards the clutch cover.. Replace the springs with oem springs don't use those springs from the tusk clutch they suck..

i just ordered a few things and i was going to get a clutch for the bike but was just waiting for a list of things. so i got a hinson clutch kit for it and i guess ill see how it works out for me. it had really good reviews on it and i have heard all good stuff about hinson. i can always return it if you think DP is then a hinson?

should i use the springs with the hinson and what do you mean about the sharp edge facing out out? i have never put a clutch in just watched..

Use the full hinson setup it's good.. as good as if not better then the DP kit.. Yes use the springs.

The metal plates the ones that don't have any friction metarial on them.. They are stamped which means when they are punched out the have a sharp edge and a beveled edge.. you want to make sure all of the sharp edges face away from the motor.. you will be able to feel it..

Use the full hinson setup it's good.. as good as if not better then the DP kit.. Yes use the springs.

The metal plates the ones that don't have any friction metarial on them.. They are stamped which means when they are punched out the have a sharp edge and a beveled edge.. you want to make sure all of the sharp edges face away from the motor.. you will be able to feel it..

thanks for all the advice on my situation man!! good luck with the racing and LL's