Sign in to follow this  

ATF or oil in the transmission

Ok I run automotive oil in the bottom end of my dirt bikes, the kind they say will make your clutch slip. I have been using synthetic oil since 1995 and never burned up a clutch or had any problem with a bike i bought new and i ran 1 bike for 5 years on the stock clutch and it still looked new, also ran a Rekluse for a year and it allowed it to slip alot and the plates were still in oem specs. So why do many people say that automotive oil will make your clutch slip and recommends to run ATF?

i used to run 10w-40 as per my manuel , then tried atf , but i have had the best luck with the pro-honda trans oil in the red bottle (80/85 weight i think)

10w40, and heavier, auto oils don't contain "energy conserving" friction modifiers and are wet clutch safe.

Ok I run automotive oil in the bottom end of my dirt bikes, the kind they say will make your clutch slip. I have been using synthetic oil since 1995 and never burned up a clutch or had any problem with a bike i bought new and i ran 1 bike for 5 years on the stock clutch and it still looked new, also ran a Rekluse for a year and it allowed it to slip alot and the plates were still in oem specs. So why do many people say that automotive oil will make your clutch slip and recommends to run ATF?

Automotive oil DOES NOT make your clutch slip UNLESS that auto oil is marked "energy conserving". Energy Conserving oils have extra anti friction additives that WILL make a motorcycle wet clutch slip.

Auto oil is fine to run in the bottom end unless it is labeled "energy conserving".

Personally, I run Bel Ray gear oil in the gear boxes of my bikes. I have also run plain old oil in the bottom end. I have also run Honda Engine and Gearbox oil in my bottom end.

I have not run ATF. With ATF you should change the gearbox oil on a more frequent basis.

Why not just run what the manufacturers recommend? Plain old oil that is designed for motorcycles?

Manufacturers have spent millions of dollars developing gearboxes and have millions of dollars on the line when they warranty what they make.

• Like 1

BTW, if you are looking for the best bang for your oil buck, Shell Rotella T is now JASO MA approved for use in Japanese motorcycle engines and transmissions.

I like the ATF type F maybe just slightly better than the Rotella, i kinda go back and forth but have had good luck both

I have run all types of gear oil in my bikes. They all seem to work good just change it often. I do like the feel of type F atf best though, it hooks up hard even with a lightened clutch and I have never heard or seen any ad normal tranz/bearing wear either.

I also use ATF type f, has great, butter smooth feeling. I change about every 8-10 hours ride time for trail riding and I have had no issues over the years.

atf type f makes my cluch feel like butter. it is awesome. i will never go back to using anything els.

I ran Type F in my 02 CR250 for 8 years and it worked great. I ran it in my CR500 and that clutch didn't like it. Got clutch fade right away. I dropped in non energy saving motor oil and it worked great.

Bottom line is for some reason I think different bikes like different oils. Go Figure?

Another ATF Type F fan here! Cheap and super effective. Tried Dex Merc ATF...No likey.

I changed to ATF as it reduces the 'clunk' when cold starting significantly.

I have used it for 3 seasons now no problems.

The key is however, it must be changed frequently, I change it every 3 rides which equates to about 10 hours of riding time.

I just wanted to get some info on ATF because i see alot of people that use it. I think some people misunderstood me. I said I was using the auto oil with extra anti friction additives since 1995 and have never had any trouble. Even with 1 bike that ran for 5 years and still look new, also ran a Rekluse that would alow the clutch to slip alot because i ran very low rpm's and used the torque of the motor for a year and the plates were still in spec. I just want some info on why people say the anti friction oil like Castrol Syntec will make the clutch slip, because i have used it since 1995 with no issues,i rode hard and used the clutch alot. It only cost $21.00 or so for 5 quart jug. I know there is a big disagreement on the subject. I will say you can tell the differance with shifting, it shifts very smooth with Castrol Syntec.

BTW, if you are looking for the best bang for your oil buck, Shell Rotella T is now JASO MA approved for use in Japanese motorcycle engines and transmissions.

I used to use the Honda trans oil, which worked very well. Been using Rotella T since I installed my Rekluse (Pro-Z) a couple years back, that's what Rekluse recommends to use with their clutch, no complaints.

Since I only pay $12 a gallon for my trans oil, I change it often (6hrs / 2 rides). I could run the synthetic Rotella and stretch the change interval to 9hrs, but I'm happy with the Rotella T.

been running atf type f for a bit here. finally gonna give the 10/40 a shot next trip. doubt ill see much difference, but the oil definitely feels thicker, so we'll see.

After reading this thread I went to check out the ATF type F . On the bottle it says its recommeded for older Ford transmissions. Is this the same stuff. Does anyone have a specific brand that they use.?

ATF-F has friction enhancers, so clutch will grab better. But ATF viscosity is around 7wt and i'd be concerned about more wear compared to oils with viscosity spec'ed by OEMs, regardless how often you change ATF. Tranny oil like Honda 80/85 and Belray gear saver are around 25wt to 30wt on the SAE engine oil viscosity scale. 10w-40 engine oil has viscosity closer to 15-20 wt at typ tranny operating temps. Tranny oil probably has extreme pressure (EP) anti-wear and other additives engineered for that application.