Sign in to follow this  

First track ride on my '88 CR500R

This was a basket case bike I bought last summer. The chassis is an '88 and the engine is an '85 with an '86 cylinder. I've had it running for awhile, but haven't had it out of the yard. Took it to our local track yesterday for the first time on practice day.

Bike ran great and got noticed--especially on the long straight in front of the fence. That's a 4th gear wheelie in the second picture with me sitting up front on the bike (I had to). I like to work on engines as much as I like to ride, and this engine is tweaked out pretty good. I'd like to put it on a dyno some day.

I was pretty cautious on the track because I was not used to the bike's power characteristics, and also the handling was unfamiliar to me. The bike gets the head shakes sometimes, especially if you land wrong on jumps.

I had a teenager with a CRF250R walk up to me when I was wrenching on the bike and comment on the old style "high-pipe." "That's a cool pipe--who makes those?" I told him that they didn't make 'em anymore.:smirk:

A couple of 450f vet riders got all misty eyed when they looked at the bike, like it brought back good memories. They told me how good it sounded, etc. I wondered why they were riding four strokes!

lynn_tabletop-1.jpg

lynn_4thgearwheelie.jpg

Thanks Y'all!

I'm looking forward to riding it again after the bruises heal up on the bottom of my right foot. It takes a pretty serious kick to get it started!

Thanks Y'all!

I'm looking forward to riding it again after the bruises heal up on the bottom of my right foot. It takes a pretty serious kick to get it started!

I hear THAT.

The ONLY thing I didn't like about my CR500 was KICKSTARTING it.

:smirk:

( It didn't help that I weigh 155lbs! )

Oy vey, I've got nearly 100 pounds on you...!

I got bruises on my foot from starting the YZ465 when I first got it too...

The bike starts on 1 kick hot or cold (after the primer kicks), if I can kick it through. But I've got to get awfully motivated to successfully kick it through a complete cycle. I'm 190 and in decent shape. The bike's got real healthy compression.

The bike starts on 1 kick hot or cold (after the primer kicks), if I can kick it through. But I've got to get awfully motivated to successfully kick it through a complete cycle. I'm 190 and in decent shape. The bike's got real healthy compression.

Yeah, I remember I had to get it up near the top of the stroke, then kick it all the way through to the bottom, and the last TWO INCHES of the kick stroke, it would light-off. OR NOT.

IF you didn't lay on it HARD, all the way to the bottom... no start.

Sometimes when that sucker was warmed up after riding it awhile, it would take several kicks to get it running again. I used to get so tired from kicking it, I couldn't RIDE it.

And don't even THINK about roll-starting that beast!

I once shut it off at the top of Competition Hill at the sand dunes.

I put it in 4th gear... pulled in the clutch... rolled it off the top of Comp Hill.... let it roll almost all the way to the bottom... and just before it reached the bottom... I stood up and jumped on it and let the clutch out.

Back tire locked up, and the bike slid to a short stop.

:ride:

Put a decompression valve on that dude. Mine kicks like a 250 at most. Larry Wiechman did the work for me. Looks like oem. You can contact him at wiechman@charter.net .

IMG_2024_web.jpg

Congratulations on bringing that beast back to life. Love it! :ride:

I e-mailed him but have not received a reply so far. 2000 KX500 is on the lift ready to pull the head and send it off. Anyone got a phone number you can privately e-mail me for him? Thanks.

The last two times I started it were difficult (cold temp) and I am not getting any younger. This is my 4th KX500 and I don't remember any of the others being as hard to kick as this one. Could be because number three was ten years ago! Talked to Larry tonight. Should have the head off tomorrow to send to him. REALLY looking forward to having the compression release on it! It will make the difference between selling the bike or keeping it.

Boy, that brings back memories for me! I had 85, 88 and 89 CR500s back in the day. Those bikes do headshake allot. Cheap solution, tighten down the steering head nut to get some drag on the bars. Expensive solution, a steering damper.

Enjoy the bike, nothing like the power of a 500 2 stroke.

Nice! But where is your protection gear;=)? It would be intresting to see some dynu figures. I ran mine on the dyno 2 weeks ago. maybe you've seen the link here already. Amyway, here it is. Mine's a -99 with some enginework by myself.

Johnny

Props buddy that you own a living legend. I wouldn't sell or trade it for NOTHIN. I've got a 98 CR250 that makes me feel like your 500 does to you. Long live Honda 2t.