Sign in to follow this  

05 crf450x electric start not working **troubleshooting starter switch or magnetic

While riding the other day my electric start just stopped working...I brought the bike home and tested the battery which tested fine....I then tested the wire going into the starter and that had no juice. I then tested the fuse on the solenoid and the fuse tested good. I tested the wire in from the battery and that tested good. I then tested the line coming out of the solenoid with switch on and while pressing starter and nothing...I now know that it is either the solenoid or the switch. I want to narrow this down to one but I am unsure how to troubleshoot the switch. Any advice would be great...

The usual suspects:

-Clutch overide switch gets shorted / disconnected

-Harness behind the headlight gets loose

-Kill button shorts out

-Starter switch corrodes and becomes always open

push the button, should be power on both sides of the switch, if not switch is bad. Doubt it though, probably one of the things Krannie suggested, or the solenoid is bad. I have not looked at my solenoid but there has to be two wires, one large from the fuse/battery, the other small, from the switch. When you push the button is there power to the small wire? If there is then the switch is bad. You can also test this by a small jumper wire from the + side of the battery to the solenoid, if it kicks over then the solenoid is good.

Also check your grounds.

• Like 1

Krannie,

What are you mean by the clutch override switch? Can you explain where this is/what this is?

Thanks,

Brendan

Krannie,

What are you mean by the clutch override switch? Can you explain where this is/what this is?

Thanks,

Brendan

If you bike is stock, it comes with a 'clutch lever interlock switch' built in the the stock clutch perch. The bike only starts with the clutch pulled in. You can bypass it behind the headlight. You want to short the wires together.

It's a source of failure with most owners.

Krannie you were right...The bypass behind the headlight...The wire was disconnected...Thanks for all the help...I was thinking it was the solenoid but I understand that they rarely fail...At any rate I ordered one on ebay yesterday so I guess I will either have a spare or try selling it in the classifieds...Thanks again!

Krannie you were right...The bypass behind the headlight...The wire was disconnected...Thanks for all the help...I was thinking it was the solenoid but I understand that they rarely fail...At any rate I ordered one on ebay yesterday so I guess I will either have a spare or try selling it in the classifieds...Thanks again!

Please make your check out to......:smirk:

Bypass that stupid switch so it doesn't happen again. Take the two wires that come from behind the headlight and plug them together, now the switch is out of the circuit; problem solved permanently.