intermittent stator?

Let me start by saying I have read most of the threads, and FAQ, any help will be appreciated.

Made a DS trip to Vancouver Island last month. Drive over went fine, at the end of the DS ride, my battery died. A local took me to his house (love those Canadians), and we charged up the battery, checked connections, and he sent me on my way. Drive back to the states was no problem.:smirk:

Two weeks later, riding around the mountains, the bike dies in the woods. Bump start it and drive home. Bought a new battery, did power mod, check stator and R/R, everything good, 14.5 volts at idle, perfect.

This weekend did a logging road ride, 14.5v output when I left home, at 50 miles, I stop in the snow and the bike won't start, dead battery. Bump started and checked the output at the battery 13.5 volts, at idle when hot.:smirk: Seems to me like the stator is failing when it gets warm or hot, so I ordered a new one. Is this common? Should I have ordered a R/R as well?

Any ideas, experiences?

Edited by Hurricane Harry

how's your battery?

i've heard a bad battery can provide faulty readings when testing the stator at the terminals

Battery is brand new. The old one load tested good as well.

Have you check the connectors from the stator to the harness.

You mean the connector from the stator to the R/R, yes.

I also checked the connector and wires by wiggling them when voltage was low, no change.

I have witnessed these exact symptons on an XR.... started and ran fine until hot. Then no run and no start. The stator was finally replaced and all was good.

^+1, my TTR exact symptons, it had a wet stator similar to the DRZ i believe, once repaired, all was good.

you might also want to check the wiring harness etc, around the steering head. Posts on this causing intermittent electrical issues.

wiring so far looks good, I did measure voltages at the battery, should be acurate, thanks

Have you done "Free Power" mod? Any bad connection between the RR and the battery can do that. In fact, that is what gave berth to the free power mod.

Have you done "Free Power" mod? Any bad connection between the RR and the battery can do that. In fact, that is what gave berth to the free power mod.

Yes, it truely helped, but it is not a fix for what ails this bike. I have a new stator in hand, it goes in tonight, then I am off to Hood River for a DS ride this weekend with fingers crossed.

I will post the outcome.