Sign in to follow this  

Aftermarket Large Drain Plug (505 xc-f, etc.)

I still have the factory large disc-like drain plug underneath my engine (uses a allen wrench (12mm? -can't remember)). I remember seeing a replacement plug some time back that uses a socket instead of the allen wrench. No luck finding it now. If anyone has the intel, please share. Salvens may have been the ones with it back when, but they don't show one now. Thanks!

So there's no confusion, I'm talking about the RF4 engine folks. Perhaps the RFS engines had a similar plug, but I don't know. Here's a pic, such as it is (yea, this is after pressure washing -Its been muddy). Thanks.

IMG_20110603_154509.jpg

Ville is saying the plug you saw was for the RFS not the RF4.

Could be. I've seen the RFS ones, but I have it in my mind that there was one for the bottom of the RF4 engines. Since I can't find it now, perhaps I'm mistaken.

You are. Or atleast i haven´t seen one for the RF4 engine. It isn´t needed anyway since the 12mm hex head won´t strip nearly as easily as the measly little one found on the RFS engines.

i too would like to know where to get a replacement with a socket fitting, ,mine is an 08 505sxf and it looks like the same as the plug in the pic , 12 mm, i stripped mine out on my 505

How do you guys manage to strip that 12mm ?? If you do as you´re supposed to ( Tighten 30 NM, anti-seize/oil on the threads) and use a good sharp tool there´s no way you strip it.

How do you guys manage to strip that 12mm ?? If you do as you´re supposed to ( Tighten 30 NM, anti-seize/oil on the threads) and use a good sharp tool there´s no way you strip it.

I had a spare motor that the PO managed to 1/2 strip the plug. As it it was 1/2 full of dirt when he tried to remove it, rounding half of it.

I'd guess not cleaning dirt out and not tapping w/ a hammer cause most issues.

its easy to strip, i dont have a torque wrench on hand, and they bind up quite easily with dirt n grit

its easy to strip, i dont have a torque wrench on hand, and they bind up quite easily with dirt n grit

Never thought about washing the bike before oil change ??:lol:

You don´t need a torque wrench either. 30 Nm is not especially tight. Use anti-seize on the threads and give that "bolt" a tap before you open it with a good tool. And - as said - clean ,at least , the bolt and the area around it before any operations. Or better yet ; Wash and clean the whole scooter before any wrenching.:ride: