Tubes are frustrating

So yesterday before I went to bed I got my bike all ready to go. Checked air in the tires filter oil started the whole deal so that I could wake up first thing this morning and go.

To my surprise this morning at 5am my front tire that had 13 psi last night now was flat. I figured hey maybe when i checked the pressure the valve stem stuck and leaked out. Wrong theres a tear or a hole in the tube????

Bike was sitting on a stand tires off the ground nothing touched it. Tube has been in for over a month with 5 or 6 rides no problems.

How do you get a flat like that???? So frustrating needless to say I ended up missing my pre work ride.

The tubes have alot of pressure at the base of the tube stem where it meets the tube itself.......is this where the hole was?

I have seen them there and if you checked your air and rattled around the stem it could have been just enough to rip it open.

Use high quality tubes and leave the nut on the inside and snug down the one on the outside(rim).

The tubes have alot of pressure at the base of the tube stem where it meets the tube itself.......is this where the hole was?

I have seen them there and if you checked your air and rattled around the stem it could have been just enough to rip it open.

Use high quality tubes and leave the nut on the inside and snug down the one on the outside(rim).

Maxxis HD tubes and it ripped about halfway around the tube from the stem

Would this by chance be where the bead lock is located? Could you have pinched the tube in the bead lock and it just now tore?

Thats what I thought it was going to be but its actually about 1 or 2" away from it.

Thats what I thought it was going to be but its actually about 1 or 2" away from it.

Now you really have me thinking it was a pinch....over time, that tube broke loose and settled into it's natural position, and the rim lock had been holding it where it didn't want to be.

i was always told to not snug the nut on the outside of the rim because it allows the tube and stem to move around. if you do snug it down, your going to tear the stem away from the tube when it moves side to side while riding. something to think about.

i was always told to not snug the nut on the outside of the rim because it allows the tube and stem to move around. if you do snug it down, your going to tear the stem away from the tube when it moves side to side while riding. something to think about.

I've always heard that too....and out of the thousands of tubed tires I have installed in my life, I have never had a single one tear the valve stem off.

And I snug that nut down on every one of them. ?

IMO

The key is to have the nut on the inside too.

They usually come with 2 nuts, one stays on the inside the and the other goes on top of the rim.

When you tighten this it holds the valve stem in place and allows the tube to be in its natural position.

If you don't have a inside nut your simply pulling the tube up into the rim putting stress rubber and it will fail with time.

Either way you need to replace the tubes every couple tires or 6 months.

I like the HD IRC tubes for off road riding, only about $12 for a rear and cheaper for the front.

Generally, the tubes are in great shape, but the valve stems get rusty down below the rim. I think this is what makes them fail. Unlikely that anyone is going to start making brass or stainless valve stems for us, so I was thinking that maybe I would start putting a little silione in the valve stem hole to keep the water out.

I think I found the culprit. Inspecting my rim it looks like there is a small burr on the inside of the rim about where the tear is. Its really really small but it looks like it could be enough that over time it rubbed its way through.

I sanded it down and hope it doesnt happen again

changing tires and dealing with tubes frusterates me too ! every time i've changed a tire i always get pinch flats so i have to pay a dealship 50 bucks to change the tube and put the rubber on the rim:banghead:

It's probably not as much you as it is you and your tire irons.

I had some guy tell me that Honda tire irons were awesome. So I bought a set. They were nice compared to the ancient Emgo cheapos I was using. But the Emgos NEVER pinched a tube. The Honda irons often did. So I scrutinized the differences between them. The Honda irons had a lot of material beyond the curve that holds the edge of the rim. The Emgo irons did not. So I grabbed a hack saw and a couple of files and tuned my Honda irons. Now I have the best of both worlds. My Honda iron now refuse to pinch tubes.

The you part is patience. Focus on getting as much of the tire in the drop center as possible before you use the iron, and use it carefully.

The last weekend I went riding with my buds I did seven tires. It's spring time and everyone is putting on new tires or swapping out ice tires, ice tires are A class tires to swap. I can't stand to watch somebody fumble for an hour on a tire I can do in a few minutes. So I get a lot of free beer. ?

Theres a better way people..... Nutech Tubliss system!

I have heard an additional benefit of the Tubliss is when you change tires it stays in place making the tire change easier. Is this true?