Sign in to follow this  

Please HELP, My girlfriend's deciding on Wr250r or Klx250s

Hi Please Help,

I've been researching both bikes on Thumpertalk and Adventure rider for some time and could use some help on this one.

My girlfriend: 5'6", 118lbs, beginner rider (just finished her M.S.F course) and ready to buy for summer. I took her to test ride the Super Sherpa, Dr350se, Dr250se, but she is set on the WR250r or the Klx250s

She will be riding 70% street and 30% off road.

The street riding will be mainly city riding with occasional highway with me and friends.

The off road rides will consist of low and high elevations. We plan to ride big bear and Northern CA single track and desert.

My impression from the threads I read is the WR may be better for highway cruising as it does 65mph smoothly and may be the better street bike for her usage.

I understand that both bikes will have to be lowered 2-3"

I previously found a couple wr250's with low mileage for around $2,500, but they sold quickly. I just now found a 2009 KLX250s with around 1000 miles for $3,100.

This is a big investment for her. Should she get the 2009 KLX250s or wait out for another good deal on the WR250r with fuel injection? Your input is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Fuel injection really is the ticket IMO, especially for high and low elevation changes, F.I. really makes a great trail bike too for this reason among others.

Some will disagree, but I think the WR is the way to go. THey come fairly plugged up stock from the factory, but they have potential. This means that if she wants more power down the road, you can get it if you do the right things.

Gearing can always be changed on a bike, so getting a smaller rear sprocket or what-have-you is an option for both bikes. Basically you can play around with sprocket sizes front and rear until you have a combo that she will like for off road torque, and highway cruising speeds.

Pretty cool that your girlfriend is this dedicated in buying a bike, sounds like either choice she will like, but you have my .02 to think about.

Both good bikes...I think they are scooter motors ?

anyway, I like the KLX250S...but either are a good choice. I wouldn't spend more on a carb'd bike though

I own a WR250R. You can lower it some, but you'll have to do the seat as well if you want to get it down 3 inches. I have done that to mine. I have it regeared, and fitted with D606 knobbies, and use it to ride to from and on state forest areas set aside for motorcycles. It is very easy to live with, even with a mix of demanding but not murderous off road and street, I got about 65 MPG yesterday on my 5 hour ride. Not the most comfortable seat in the world, but some think it is better than others. It absolutely demands installing a quality bash plate (mine is a Flatland, along with the radiator guard) or you'll be buying a new engine. I have a Yamalink, and that, together with lowering the forks and getting as much fro the lower shock mount, probably got me about 2 inches lower. I had the seat redone, and got another inch. I'm 5'8" 30 in inseam.

When I went more dirt oriented and swapped to D606 tires, I also installed a 47T rear, got a speedo-drd to correct the now incorrect speedo calibration.

I will say that going to a good synthetic oil after break in, and changing it every 1 K miles, filter every other, and lube the chain. that's the maintenance. Run premium like you're supposed to, change the plug every year or other as desired, fit some Pro Grip 714 grips for the vibration, and you're all set. greer has over 20K on her WRR rides it all over the place. perhaps you would want to PM her and ask direct questions.

I'm happy with mine, but I understand it isn't a race bike, is a bit heavy, and doesn't make 40 HP. It is street legal, is nicely made, has better than average dual sport suspension, and requires almost no care, basically gas and go. If you would like to see where it goes, I have a photobucket account under the same name as my screen name here. (Yamaguy55) You can see it gets around.

Both good bikes...I think they are scooter motors ?

Then you've never ridden a wr250r. The motor rips and has WAY more power than I initially thought it would. It's no motocrosser, but it has more than enough power.

Then you've never ridden a wr250r. The motor rips and has WAY more power than I initially thought it would. It's no motocrosser, but it has more than enough power.

About 25hp or so I believe

Dynos usually about 26-27 RWHP, which puts it about 30 crankshaft. Still not bad for a compliant, reliable, low maintenance bike that is legal anywhere. About on par with the old DT400, but different delivery.

As long as you don't buy/try to make them race bikes, they are great. I like most things about mine, but it could stand to be 30 pounds lighter for technical off road stuff. If you stick to what its made for, it works very well. Very low maintenance.

Dynos usually about 26-27 RWHP, which puts it about 30 crankshaft. Still not bad for a compliant, reliable, low maintenance bike that is legal anywhere. About on par with the old DT400, but different delivery.

As long as you don't buy/try to make them race bikes, they are great. I like most things about mine, but it could stand to be 30 pounds lighter for technical off road stuff. If you stick to what its made for, it works very well. Very low maintenance.

:thumbsup:I love mine!

Both bikes will fill the ticket. Anyone says anything negative about either one for a novice is smokin' crack. I've ridden both to help friends out on semi-technical situations, I think I like the yammi better, but who knows different days, different situations. With how both are so reliable why not get a low hour used bike for 2K?

I did a lot of research on both bikes and ended up with the KLX250s. For one it was much cheaper. I was quoted $6800 OTD on the WR and then I found, and bought a left-over 09 KLX for $4832 OTD.

First move would to put on a 13 tooth counter shaft sprocket. Stock gearing is a little high.

My wife and I were in the same boat. My wife chose the klx250 based on price. It is more than enough bike for her needs...wish it were lighter tho.

The weight between the WR and KLX is is the same. The ride height on the KLX is slightly lower which should help for a woman.

I didn't want to pay full retail. I hunted around and found my WRR for $4300.00 with 160 miles on it. If you look around, you can find lots of things. You just have to be willing to wait.

But...

Enjoy the new bike.

Yep, ridden both.

Personally, I prefer the Kawi...