Sign in to follow this  

2011 - hard to start

Almost 20 hours on...and its getting harder and harder to start. Cold and hot, same issue. anything related with our poor gasoline / alcohol blend? thought that with EFI this would not be an issue...shall i check for valve clearance?

If it is hard to start, that is the first thing I would do, check valve clearence. 20 hrs. is about the time to check them anyway.

We just did the topend on our 2009 and with somewhere between 200 and 300 hours on it, the valves were still within spec. Mind you, the early life of the bike wasn't terribly hard on the engine as the rider was getting used to it slowly.

Never-the-less, it's one thing to check. Before I'd do that, I'd check the sparkplug. No doubt with EFI, the plug will be fine, but a gradually deteriorating condition certainly makes me want to check the easiest things first, and I'd start with the sparkplug.

We just did the topend on our 2009 and with somewhere between 200 and 300 hours on it, the valves were still within spec. Mind you, the early life of the bike wasn't terribly hard on the engine as the rider was getting used to it slowly.

Never-the-less, it's one thing to check. Before I'd do that, I'd check the sparkplug. No doubt with EFI, the plug will be fine, but a gradually deteriorating condition certainly makes me want to check the easiest things first, and I'd start with the sparkplug.

What he described is a sign of valves out of spec, but might as well start with the easy things first.

Thanks for the imputs. Did i mention that im inthe amazon forest area? anyhow, gas quality here is not that good. Things are much better now that im mixing it up with aviation gas at 50/50.

Check your throttle speed first. Mine is set to 32 clicks out counterclockwise

I would also suggest maybe swapping out to the white ECU plug if you're in that type of environment - I'd think its pretty humid and dense there.