Sign in to follow this  

Battery/charging problems

First, I want to say that I have read the charging system diagnosis/mod post and some other related threads, but electrical issues are not my strong suit. I have a friend who is good with such problems, but not real familiar with motorcycles. So I wanted to post a description of exactly what's going on and see if I could get some opinions of where to start.

OK--I have a 2001 DRZ400. I have only had it a couple of months and supposedly a new battery was installed last summer and was kept on a battery tender. I did not put it on a battery tender initially, due to it being in a garage and the weather being fairly warm. The first couple of times I rode it it started right up with no problems. Then, after sitting maybe a week and a half, we had to push start it, but that day it started right back up anytime it was shut off. I hooked it up to a battery tender and let it charge. The next time it was ridden it started with no problems. Hooked back up to a battery tender and did not ride for 3-4 weeks--It wouldn't start. It initially turned over and then weakened (the headlight dimmed, etc.) So we're thinking bad battery. Push started it and rode for a while, but if you cut it off it would not start back. Hooked it up to a battery tender overnight (it showed to be fully charged the next morning) but it didn't even turn over, as if the battery were completely dead. The headlight came on though.

Any help is appreciated.

Have your friend put a voltmeter on the bike. Check the voltage when:

The bike is off

Key on, not running

Running at idle

Running at part throttle.

Show your friend the FAQs and the parts about stator tests and the free power mod. I bet you probably need a battery after it being so dischared so many times and could benefit from the free power mod.

Do the simple things first. Clean and tighten the battery terminals. Look at the connection in the wire between the fuse and the battery. Look at the fuse holder. Look at the connection between the regulator/rectifier (RR) and the wire harness. When I say "look at" I mean look for overheating and/or green corrosion.

Think about doing the "free Power" mod. Might fix the problem. Never hurts.

oh my...cavesguy please read all the faq's at top of page..lots of info you must read about your bike. All newbs should read to familiarize yourself with the most posted topics here. Welcome.

free power mod is a battery charging upgrade in simplest form

+1 check the harness and all connectors. Physically disconnect and inspect. Make sure it fits snug. Has the stator been replaced that you know of?

Thanks for the help so far!

I do not know if the stator has ever been replaced. The seller said he replaced the battery last summer but didn't mention anything about the stator. He installed a full Yoshi exhaaust, zip ty fuel screw, and rejetted it. He was the second owner the first owner bought the bike new off the showroom floor in 2006. And it was completely stock when he sold it.

I plan on checking all the connections tonight. Hopefully my friend will be able to check everything else in a day or two.

Edited by lightnin4
add info

oh my...cavesguy please read all the faq's at top of page..lots of info you must read about your bike. All newbs should read to familiarize yourself with the most posted topics here. Welcome.

free power mod is a battery charging upgrade in simplest form

smile D. :smirk: