Best oil for XR650L

Just got an XR650L and wanting to change the oil. What is the most highly recommend??? Weight and brand....

Rohroh..... Take it easy on the noob

Shell Rotella oil, synthetic or non, your call

14 psi rear tire, 16 psi front

Terraflex rear tire

Michelin S-12 front

This could get a little rough (inside joke, you'll get it soon enough...)

• Like 1

If you want to change your oil often (some have their reasons) stick with regular oil.

Extreme duty, or longer intervals (either because you belive the hype or are just a bit lazy) then synthetic or syn blend. I'm in this group for the most part.

It is more important to change your oil on some sort of regular schedule with the recommended oil from Honda than worry about dino or syn or the brand. Talk with a group of riders and we can recommend our favorite for some darn good reasons (and some not so good but there you go).

From personal experience I love Golden Spectro and Amzoil but it could very well had been by 2000-2500 mile change interval that did the most good. But I hear good things about other brands too.

Used the search function but couldn't find anything relevant..

Just funnin with ya......i use rotella 15/40 in summer..........cooler weather i use Castrol 10/40........you can get the HiFloFiltro filters(aftermarket) for about 1/2 price of Honda and other brands........and they manufacture oil filters for OE so they are cheap and decent quality too:thumbsup:

B

• Like 1

From one newb to another.....welcome to the forum,Biff !! ( and don't sweat it about the search feature, they ALL suck, on every forum I've ever seen !!!)

I got an XRL a couple months ago, my first bike ever, and the more I research and learn, the more questions I end up with, and OIL was not only the first thing I started researching, I'm still doing it now LOL !!!

But, from my limited understanding : You should stick to the manufacturers recommendation concerning weight/viscocity (10-40), though there is a little leeway. I've been using Rotella synthetic 5-40, which is highly popular. This performs as a 40 weight at running temperature, and is about $21 a gallon at many Wal-Marts ( it's the BLUE jug).

Again, as I understand, the particular oil you use isn't as critical as is regular changing of it. Lots of guys attest to good service from "budget" oils, they just change more frequently. Synthetics are widely regarded as "better", but there's a cost trade-off. But, this may be a non-issue since (as I understand) you can usually go longer between changes with synthetics.

The thing to be concerned about with oil in a bike, isn't how "dirty"

it looks, but the "shearing" that happens to oil from the transmission. THAT is what reduces your oil's ability to do it's job, well before impurities do.

There's a great article that explains this, I'll try and dig it up if someone doesn't do it first.

One big thing to be aware of is a small,round seal on the back of the oil container. If it says in the bottom half "energy conserving", then you don't want it in a motorcycle. That means it has "friction modifiers" like graphite and "moly" (disulfide molybdenum), that can cause clutch plates to slip in bikes like the XRL with a "wet clutch".

Almost forgot, "Motorcycle-specific" oils are a complete sham. Sure, they'll work fine,they simply have no friction modifiers. Other than that, nothing special at all.

Now I'll try and fish-up that article for you.........:smirk:

Here you go,bro. This is most excellent info that I was turned onto several times during my quest for "Oil-Quan-Zen-Knowledge", (and circulates frequently on all the bike forums) you should put it in your favorites, you'll want to refer to it more than once.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Oils1.html

Edited by Brocephus
  • Like 1

I am running Castrol full synthetic 10W-40, and so far I have been happy. Plan to get it tested at 2000 miles. Looks spotless at 800. We are also running Castrol full synthetic in several horrendous duty acid pumps at work and it is doing pretty well so far. I guess I should own up to the fact that I do work for BP. I think all the synthetics are probably pretty good though.

I'm running Rotella 15/40 dino, BUT with only 3500 miles on mine I noticed some puffs of blue smoke when my son was riding it ahead of me. It was mostly when riding hard and during a hot day, but nonethless not a real good thing. I had the oil tested by Blackstone and it the report came back basically saying everything was great and I could extend the oil change intervals. I have so little riding time the oil has been changed more because of time than mileage, but in terms of mileage the oil has been changed on average at about every 800 miles. Just my experience.

Normal Barney Rubble stuff,,20/50 for 35 years..Shells my preference but I'll use anything 20/50 depending on price..Never bothered with synthetic..

• Like 1

For the price, it's hard to beat Mobil 1 motorcycle oil. And looking at this photo from the last time I changed the oil, I'm overdue for an oil change. :smirk:

OilChangeImage.jpg

That's ok because I'll have many more newbie questions like this coming...I'm one of those people who likes to do as much research as possible on every detail no matter how insignificant...it's a curse..

Just turned 78,000 miles yesterday.... Only use Rotella 5w-40wt Synthetic, change oil every 3000 mile intervals, oil filters every 6000 miles. Other than spark plugs and a new left case cover (gear shifter holed original) the engine is all original. Oh, I installed an oil cooler last June at 60,000 miles.

• Like 1

Just turned 78,000 miles yesterday.... Only use Rotella 5w-40wt Synthetic, change oil every 3000 mile intervals, oil filters every 6000 miles. Other than spark plugs and a new left case cover (gear shifter holed original) the engine is all original. Oh, I installed an oil cooler last June at 60,000 miles.

78k? Wow, that's impressive:thumbsup: I think that's the highest I've heard of especially without a rebuild.

I use Castrol 20w50 in June, July and August and either 10w40 or 15w40 outside of those months. I change my oil once every 4 to 6 weeks in the summer and once every couple months during the cooler months. I change my oil often because oil typically runs much hotter in a air cooled engine. I change oil filters once in the spring and about half way through the bike season.

• Like 1