Sign in to follow this  

Selling 450R to buy 450X

I am considering selling my 06 450R to purchase a left over 2009 CRF450X. I love my 06, however, it is getting worn out.

I trail ride in the desert and do the occasional hare and hound race. I am 6'5 and weigh about 230 lbs.

Can anyone tell me what I can expect going from the R to the X? I love the power of my R, however, having a bike with lights, an electric starter, WR tranny, and a kick stand sounds enticing.

Thanks

I am considering selling my 06 450R to purchase a left over 2009 CRF450X. I love my 06, however, it is getting worn out.

I trail ride in the desert and do the occasional hare and hound race. I am 6'5 and weigh about 230 lbs.

Can anyone tell me what I can expect going from the R to the X? I love the power of my R, however, having a bike with lights, an electric starter, WR tranny, and a kick stand sounds enticing.

Thanks

I had a '02 R which was fun for a while. It beat the crap out of me until I had it re-valved and re-sprung. Still too aggressive for my kind of riding.

I bought the X in '05 thinking it would be 'an R with e-start'. Wrong.

It's a different beast. Taller, wider, heavier, and slower.

At first I hated it. It took a while to get the thing to handle for me (6'4" 265lbs). Once the suspension was dialed in, it was pretty cool. R cam, full pipe, and good carb tuning did the rest. It's so easy to ride, but it's a lot harder to slow down, and throw around. Still, It is a great compromise for all the other pluses. It has been the best all-around bike I've ever owned or ridden.

The 450R is lighter and feels faster but honestly I think a dialed in 450X makes just as much HP or very close to it anyway. I find the biggest differences aside from the magic button, WR gear box, and extra weight of the 450X is that the R chassis is harsh by comparison for open desert rides. I love the nimbleness of my desert rigged 450R but I miss the smooth effortless higher speed cruising on the 450X. The 450X is a more versatile and forgiving ride IME.

If you want more power you can always put a r cam, ported r head, and / or a 08 r carb in your x and get a huge power gain over the stock x. Along with rejetting, cutting the airbox, new exhaust, and all the other mods you can easily search on here.

I have a young son who is into riding these days. With the X you can putt along in 1st gear without having to marry the clutch. Couldnt do that with my track bike.

But when you need to get going, it has all that ready for you too...and like Krannie said you can set up your X motor to deliver as needed.

my brother had an 05 450r that I rode all the time. I loved riding it fast and aggressive. I now have a 450x. Its still fast but it does something that his 450r never did very well. You can ride it slow on technical stuff. It is totally different than the r though so be ready for a different bike imo...I'm happy with the x.