Springtime in the Desert

Very nice. I got here from over on the two-stroke side where you left the link. Left you a link over there in return. Looks like fun. I lived a number of years in Western Australia, it looked like that except reddish sand/soil, and more desolate and rugged. I sometimes miss my desert riding days. But not the scorpions and more (less?) so, the venomous centipedes.

Where were these taken?

Very nice. I got here from over on the two-stroke side where you left the link. Left you a link over there in return. Looks like fun. I lived a number of years in Western Australia, it looked like that except reddish sand/soil, and more desolate and rugged. I sometimes miss my desert riding days. But not the scorpions and more (less?) so, the venomous centipedes.

Where were these taken?

Pretty sure it is Moonrocks, just north of Reno, NV.

I rode from Lemon Drive and back yesterday. I always seem to find something new out there. It's nice because you make the ride as easy or difficult as you want.

I rode from Lemon Drive and back yesterday. I always seem to find something new out there. It's nice because you make the ride as easy or difficult as you want.

That is nice. I just posted my ride. There are sections there that will do you in. Ohers are a nice ride though the woods, over the mountain, and along the creek. But the nasty parts are a real workout even for the very experienced. look at these nice rocks:

http://s1178.photobucket.com/albums/x372/Yamaguy55/Shade%20Mountain/

I like the idea that I can easily vary the level of difficulty during the ride, so each can be different at the same area. if I ever get out there (with a bike) I'll have to give it a shot. ?

i knew those mountains in the background looked familiar!!! hahaha im like 10 minutes from moon rocks. there is tons of singletrack out there that i couldnt explore with my quad. now that i sold it and bought a bike, i need to go out there again and find out where it all goes. ?:ride:

How far north have you taken Dogskin ridge? I got to a point where it dead-ends and you have to ride down off-trail east, so I turned around. I thought the ridge trail would go all the way north and descend the north face. Maybe there's a split I missed?

My last time out I found some incredible stuff in a place that looked ho-hum, just by following a cow trail from a water trough.

How far north have you taken Dogskin ridge? I got to a point where it dead-ends and you have to ride down off-trail east, so I turned around. I thought the ridge trail would go all the way north and descend the north face. Maybe there's a split I missed?

My last time out I found some incredible stuff in a place that looked ho-hum, just by following a cow trail from a water trough.

I honestly don't know it that well. Is that the 6th pic?

I find something different every time, or a different way to someting I recognize. I almost got lost yesterday looking for an easy route back. Should have just taken the singletrack-less pounding than the whoops on the dustmaker trails.

That is nice. I just posted my ride. There are sections there that will do you in. Ohers are a nice ride though the woods, over the mountain, and along the creek. But the nasty parts are a real workout even for the very experienced. look at these nice rocks:

http://s1178.photobucket.com/albums/x372/Yamaguy55/Shade%20Mountain/

I like the idea that I can easily vary the level of difficulty during the ride, so each can be different at the same area. if I ever get out there (with a bike) I'll have to give it a shot. ?

Sweet. I need to ride in the East sometime. Being from such an open area, I'd probably get lost in the denseness. I'm originally from Michigan and kinda miss trees sometimes. I guess there's always Northern Cali.

I did a loop the other day from my house in Reno, north through Sun Valley, over the hill in the east side of Lemmon Valley, and out to Stead where I work. After work, I road up Peavine Mtn to the lower microwave towers, then descended to Kings Row and home.

Having a Plate is nice. I can almost circumnavigate Reno/Sparks with less than 3 miles of pavement riding.

I honestly don't know it that well. Is that the 6th pic?

I find something different every time, or a different way to someting I recognize. I almost got lost yesterday looking for an easy route back. Should have just taken the singletrack-less pounding than the whoops on the dustmaker trails.

pics 3-9 above are all atop the Dogskin ridge

The next couple sidehill trail pics are on the west side of the ridge. Google Dogskin Mountain Nevada and use the terrain feature and/or satellite feature and you'll recognize it. It's the biggest hill in the immediate area, and parallels Winnemucca Ranch Rd north/south for a while.

pics 3-9 above are all atop the Dogskin ridge

The next couple sidehill trail pics are on the west side of the ridge. Google Dogskin Mountain Nevada and use the terrain feature and/or satellite feature and you'll recognize it. It's the biggest hill in the immediate area, and parallels Winnemucca Ranch Rd north/south for a while.

OK, I played on Google Earth for a while.

Looks like I've been pretty much as far as you, without hitting any dead end. Once was during a race and the course hopped over into the sidehill stuff and up and down some of the easier stuff on the west side. I wasn't really paying attention to where I was exactly; just following arrows and trying to finish. I was up there agian in January with a guy who knows it pretty well, but there was still a bunch of snow and we looped west and down to the big pit area. I see a bunch of sidehills on the west close to the top, but can't make out if they connect. Lots of stuff to explore on that one, that's for sure.

Due to starting at Lemon Drive most of the time, I've spent more time on Hungry Mtn. and the east of Warm Springs Mtn. I should stage at the Moonrocks more often, but I hate driving Pyramid Hwy through Spanish Springs on weekends.