Sign in to follow this  

trouble getting air cleaner boot on

I just did Dave's Mod to my 99 xrl, and also drilled the muffler. Upped the main jet to 160, and 58 pilot-after trying a 55. Screw is around 2 turns. It runs much better, but I think it needs a 14 tooth front sprocket. I am around 100 feet above sea level. It will now power wheelie 1st, but 2nd is still a no go.

My problem has been trying to get the rubber boot from the air cleaner to seat fully on the back of the carb. It is almost like it shrunk 1/4". I can get it to fully seat, but when tightening down the clamp it pulls one side or the other off enough to where you can see it isn't right. I even pulled the carb off the front boot a little, and it still won't get what I think is right. I am about ready to move the whole airbox assembly forward a 1/2".

Anyone else had this problem? Any tips?

I put the carb in ther rear boot,tighten it up then push the carb forward and secure the front,seems to work better for me..

B

I put the carb in ther rear boot,tighten it up then push the carb forward and secure the front,seems to work better for me..

B

+1 :smirk:

Just push down on the top of widest part of the plastic/rubbery stuff..That should move it forward enough, Screw the clamp on as you push down.

B,

That sounds like a plan. How does a 14 tooth sprocket change the gearing? Is it a noticeable difference, or should I go with a 13?

The bike will hold the gears longer on a 14. More top speed, less accel. If you found yourself running out of gears on a 13 then a 14 is like putting another cog in the tranny...

Try loosening the air boot where it attaches to the airbox, do not remove it, just undo the clamp some. Then you'll be able to wiggle the boot onto the carb and tighten it, then tighten at the airbox. This always works for me for stubborn situations.