Sign in to follow this  

RSW Fork brace problem

I just installed the RSW brace on my 98 XR400. It seems like it's too big..? It is spreading the forks about an 1/8" at the axle. Don't know the best way around this.....Help... I'll put up a pic to show whats going on

I just installed the RSW brace on my 98 XR400. It seems like it's too big..? It is spreading the forks about an 1/8" at the axle. Don't know the best way around this.....Help... I'll put up a pic to show whats going on

Do you still have the stock odometer drive? If so, I'd put that back in and see what your clearance is.

Just a thought. :smirk:

Very strange, Mine & a few others I've heard of were too small & needed shimming but this is the 1st I've seen that is too big.

Does it take much force to close the gap?

Creedy.

I tried the orig odometer drive already with the same outcome. As far as how much force it takes to close the gap....not too much, and I can get it closed. that little bit though, does make it bind and stick on the return. If I push down nice and easy, it will stay down. If I do that with any force, it does return. I"m affraid If I leave it like that, I'll screw up my brand new seals. I'll call RSW today and see what they say....?

Maybe just a mis-packed (wrong) item...???

I have just recently installed one on my 2001 XR400 and I had great luck with mine but I was re-installing the forks when I installed it, maybe that is the difference? I had just removed my forks to change fluid and do the "shim stack mod". I had also decided not to re-install the bellows style fork tube protectors that are a standard expected piece on all XR's. I slid the forks back into the triple clamps and only slight tightened the top triple clamp pinch bolts just enough to hold the forks in place. Then I clamp the RSW fork brace onto the lower fork tubes right were the bellows used to seat, I tightened the brace screws evenly. Then I installed the front wheel as you normally would (with the old odometer drive in its proper place), I then tightened the pinch bolts on the front axle, then back up to the top to torque the tripled clamps. I had to make no further adjustments at all. AND I did find that when running fast rutty two tracks and when in sand, the RSW brace made a very nice improvement, I am happy with it for sure:banana:

Brad_cad

I had to make a slight adjustment on the brace in a milling machine. Now it's perfect...? who knows,....probably just my shitty luck. I never expect things to go smoothly. This way it's less aggrevating when it doesn't...lol I too was installing my forks. Did a service on them, changed springs for my weight and did the shim pack mod too. Can't wait to take her out and hopefully feel a difference. Thanks everybody for the input.

Tony