Sign in to follow this  

Suspension Ride Report

Thought I would post a quick review of my updated suspension for people to look at. Bike is a 2010 YZ250, just had the suspension revalved by Factory Connection. I am an intermediate rider, race MX almost exclusively with a couple of mountain rides a year to mix it up.

First off I will say that the stock suspension was never that bad for me (last bike was an 06 YZ250). But I did find that the back end kicked around more than I liked in braking bumps, and it did not track through the whoops as straight as I wanted, so I sent it off with my list of complaints and I will say that I am pretty happy with the results. It is not a WOW upgrade, but it is definitely noticable. The back end definitly calmed down, which I was happy with, and I could ride a little faster comfortably. They put a lighter high speed compression spring in, and I already had swapped to lighter pressure springs up front which happened to match what they recommended.

Bottom line is the back end is quite a bit better, the front only marginally. One thing that suprised me was the sag. Their recommended sag was 108 in the back and sliding the forks up only 4mm in the front. I was very skeptical about this, but the bike seemed to turn just fine.

Will I ever pay the $680 again? I don't know. It is kind of like any upgrade, sure it will make you a little faster but you will never be the fastest. As long as you are having fun, placing should be secondary in my opinion. I do know that this has allowed me to go that little bit faster, which hopefully doesn't translate into a little bit harder of a crash.

I have only been to the track once too, so I will try and report again after a few races.

yamaha forks are already great you could of saved that money! i agree with the shock a little to much high speed comp , could be better on the chop and tracktion. cant go wrong with FC .

i use to get FC to revalve mine before i learned and got pretty good at it. Don't just bolt on FC suspension and ride i found that there was a bit more to get out of them by adjusting the clickers. It seems like when i got a set back from FC they would be a whole lot better once i set the front rebound at about 5 to 6 out from fully in on the forks and if that helps try 4 to 7on the rebound and with the compression out alittle if the rebound starts to make it harse. and the shock 8 to 11 on rebound from fully in and then high speed adjusted least as possible without it bottoming out on the bigger stuff. The less high speed compression on the rear the more it may set down when adjusting for the sag. Try adjusting the sag with the high speed where they have it at now then turn it out as much as you can without bottoming and if later you need to reset the sag do it after trying it first the other way. The compression springs you did was a good move in the right direction, most people don't even have a clue of what kind of tunning they can do with the compression springs. Most say they change the dampning all the way through but i find that the biggest change is felt at 1/2 way through. The small chamber where the compression springs are at also act as a air spring like the outher space where the main springs are at, they ramp up alot faster. riding odd road i use the light FC offer 1.00.

I will definitely being doing some more playing with the clickers. I was bottoming the suspension several times on the track, more than usual. Nothing that sounded harsh though. I don't want to make it too stiff either since I have a partially fused wrist that hurts after I ride as it is, so I want it plush too.

Had my 08 Yz250 resprung and revalved front and rear by FC as well for somewhat fast intermediate riding (but I am extremely aggressive)... I must say that I wasnt overly impressed at the way the bike tracked. Didnt notice too much difference in the forks as they still seemed pretty soft for me. Im 220 before gear so the revalve/ spring was absolutely neccessary. I dont know too much about setting up suspension so I brought a buddy to the track with me who fiddled with it based on my ride reports. All I could say after he was done was WOW. I couldnt believe how the forks improved with only minor changes to compression, the rebound was where it was at though. I like a slightly stiff suspension compared to what most of my fellow riding companions seem to prefer in comparisson. We ended up with the forks raised 5mm. and I believe the rebound 8 clicks out with no changes to the rear, not sure about any other settings that were changed. Bike tracks straight through the rough stuff with little bottoming when big air becomes an issue. Once I learn a little more about tuning the forks I think there will be a little room for improvement in the turns without sacrificing tracking ability through the turns which seems to be my biggest void in suspension tuning at this point.

i had my my 04 yz 125 revalved by J.M. racing in Texas and i couldn't be happier with it. before i had it revalved, the front end used to be to stiff in the choppy stuff but would bottom out with a big clank noise over big jumps. now its perfect i can barely feel the bumps anymore and it feels nice and plush going over big jumps. like i stated before, my bike is an 04 and the suspension isn't that great stock. 06 and up from what i understand is about as good as it gets for stock suspension.

I am a good Intermediate rider with 28 years racing experience. I revalve motocross bikes for a living in Italy, and I happen to own a Yz 250 2008. The stock rear shock is terrible. the stock bike is unsafe, I don't think the valving is apropriate for a 2 strokes. It kicks the rear up on breaking bumps and off the jumps, you loose your feet from the pegs in the rough, it doesn't hold a line entering the turns. I tryed shim stacks from the best suspension companys, without finding a set up that would allow me to ride safely at my full potential. I don't think they spend much time resolving 2 strokes problems, so I decided to work on it myself. I just spent one month revalving it 11 times... and now I got it right. now it is fantastic. it behaves the way a YZ 250 is suposed to.

Basically:

1. the stock rebound is way too fast

2. low speed compression is valved too soft, and high speed is too hard.

3. the high speed compression adjuster is too hard for a 2 strokes

now the rear rides lower, never kicks up, it is always stable on fast straights with no head shake, it soaks up even the roughest stuff with full on throttle, and does not move on breaking bumps.

I went 1K softer on the spring as opposed to what was recomended for my weight.

in order for the shock to function right it, it must be revalved so that you can ride with the rebound and compression clics out pretty far. I ride 17 out on the rebound, and 14 out on compression, high speed compression 1 turn 5/8 out.

the front needs work too, on low/high speed compression, bypass, and especially on rebound. now i run 14 clicks out on rebound and 12 on compression.

the bike is super fun now, and safe!

If only you were a little closer, Id drop my 08 off to you. Its pretty good right now after the revalve bu it def still needs some work.

as soon as I am done testing this week end, I will post the complete job so that everyone can enjoy riding their YZ

I will definitely being doing some more playing with the clickers. I was bottoming the suspension several times on the track, more than usual. Nothing that sounded harsh though. I don't want to make it too stiff either since I have a partially fused wrist that hurts after I ride as it is, so I want it plush too.

I revalved my forks completely, and I did the free piston mods that Dave Johnson suggests, with the softer ICS springs. The result is awesome. Now I can almost ride without gloves! no more elbow or wrist pains, nor blisters

I am a good Intermediate rider with 28 years racing experience. I revalve motocross bikes for a living in Italy, and I happen to own a Yz 250 2008. The stock rear shock is terrible. the stock bike is unsafe, I don't think the valving is apropriate for a 2 strokes. It kicks the rear up on breaking bumps and off the jumps, you loose your feet from the pegs in the rough, it doesn't hold a line entering the turns. I tryed shim stacks from the best suspension companys, without finding a set up that would allow me to ride safely at my full potential. I don't think they spend much time resolving 2 strokes problems, so I decided to work on it myself. I just spent one month revalving it 11 times... and now I got it right. now it is fantastic. it behaves the way a YZ 250 is suposed to.

Basically:

1. the stock rebound is way too fast

2. low speed compression is valved too soft, and high speed is too hard.

3. the high speed compression adjuster is too hard for a 2 strokes

now the rear rides lower, never kicks up, it is always stable on fast straights with no head shake, it soaks up even the roughest stuff with full on throttle, and does not move on breaking bumps.

I went 1K softer on the spring as opposed to what was recomended for my weight.

in order for the shock to function right it, it must be revalved so that you can ride with the rebound and compression clics out pretty far. I ride 17 out on the rebound, and 14 out on compression, high speed compression 1 turn 5/8 out.

the front needs work too, on low/high speed compression, bypass, and especially on rebound. now i run 14 clicks out on rebound and 12 on compression.

the bike is super fun now, and safe!

Interesting, I am also an experienced rider and I have noticed my 06 YZ250 doing the same things you describe. It's funny but I am more comfortable on this bike than any other that I have ridden in spite of these issues. But it needs a lot of body english and throttle control to deal with the problems you describe. I really have noticed the front end jumping high and the back end kicking a guys feet of the pegs. I am very interested in your settings.

So I hit the track again yesterday, a different track that I will actually be racing this year. I will say that I was impressed with the suspension. Like earlier, it does not feel like a huge improvement, but I have the feeling it is doing more than I think it is. There was a really bad kicker on a jump right out of a corner, the kind where you are still turning when you hit the lip, and while the bike did cross a few times on me it did not react badly when I landed.

Besides that one jump, the bike did not do anything odd the entire time. This made my confidence higher and I did push it a little harder. I think it is going to be a great year! I did not up my compression either, since the speeds on this "supercross/mx" style track are a little slower, I was not bottoming anywhere that I could tell. First race is this weekend and that will be the true test! Gonna try and hang with the pros:ride: