Sign in to follow this  

Washington question about MX track land use permits

maybe Todd or someone in this forum might have an answer.

currently, a friend of mine is looking into building a personal use MX track in his front pasture. we were trying to find out if he needs to get a permit from snohomish county to do so, or if it was a "get the neighboors consent and call it good" type of deal.

It would be in direct view of county road, and is roughly 240'x170'ft

Go for it! No problem. :smirk:

Which that were true. I'd start with neighbor consent and then make sure you don't fill no wetlands and streams. Beyond that, should be fine provided that consent is achieved. Good luck.

consider pm'ing trackmaster, he may have some valuable input on the matter. best of luck!

Go for it! No problem. :smirk:

Which that were true. I'd start with neighbor consent and then make sure you don't fill no wetlands and streams. Beyond that, should be fine provided that consent is achieved. Good luck.

typically if there are no nieghbor complaints, erosion control or dust issues, most counties will not respond to an mx track. 1 complaint and your done! buddy was adding some fill to his back yard, the dump trucks were leaving mud on the roadway on there way out after they dumped their load. county dude drove by , saw the mud and investigated. he lost use of his track that day. county wanted him to get a permit to flatten it! if your nieghbors are not cool, dont do it. move the least amount of dirt as possible with erosion in mind. no counties i know of are issueing permits for mx tracks

Many of the rquirments are county specific.

Currently Snohomish County is permit-happy.

If Reiter is any indication, you'll be moving more paper than dirt.

You (or another friend) could ask the county planning department.

At least then you would know the worst case scenerio.

timber ridge is a good example of a county planning department telling the land owner, you wont have no problems getting that approved sir, just fill out this paperwork. after many thousands of dollars, denied! i dont see any county in washington issueing a permit for a moto track.

GEt a Pre-Application meeting with the "Planning" department of the jurisdiction that the land is located. This will require the agency outline the "process" to a permit -if needed. Just because there is a process doesn't mean an applicant will get a permit in the end.....

As already pointed out - getting a permit in Western Washington is pretty difficult due to the political climate.

Just build it and keep it on the low-down.... if someone makes a fuss, then claim "I didn't know..."

Just build it and keep it on the low-down.... if someone makes a fuss, then claim "I didn't know..."

exactly!

Don't ride early or late

Title 18A – Pierce County Development Regulations – Zoning 18A.33.300

h. Motor tracks subject to the following restrictions, all restrictions must be met or

the use is categorized under Amusement and Recreation use type.

(1) Rural zones only;

(2) Parcels must be equal to or exceed 5 contiguous acres in size;

(3) Track shall be within an area not to exceed 2 acres in size;

(4) No portion of the usable track may be within 50 feet of any property line

and no closer than 250 feet to a principal residential structure on any

abutting property.

(5) The track shall only be utilized during daylight hours; no earlier than 8 a.m.

and no later than 6 p.m. year round;

(6) Use of the track is limited to the occupant(s) of the single-family residence.

This is what Pierce county used to assess my track (pulled from their website link to the regulation), they came out a few times to measure everything, my track is 1/2 mile long, ave 30 ft wide, steepest slope was 70degrees. I was within regulations on everything on that list for "motor tracks" but they also assess how much dirt you move and how much land you clear and I was waaaaaay over the limit on that (they said dont do anymore work on the track without a permit, but I was already done with the track so no biggie, he said general track maintenance was ok as long as I wasnt moving alot of dirt or clearing, clearing includes removing grass). Slope measurement was for erosion/storm water drainage, I was over the limit on that due to the jumps but I built drain reservoirs for run off so they were cool with that, nothing going onto neighbors land. I also got written statements from the neighbors and sent them into the county. Have had the track for 5 years now -no probs, ride almost every weekend. Then again, theres 4 other private tracks within a mile or so of our house so the neighbors here are cool. I know this is pierce co but might help point ya in the right direction. I wouldnt get the county sniffin around though, research it without them. I only did cuz someone reported me. Hope this helps.

h. Motor tracks subject to the following restrictions, all restrictions must be met or

(1) Rural zones only;

abutting property.

(5) The track shall only be utilized during daylight hours; no earlier than 8 a.m.

(6) Use of the track is limited to the occupant(s) of the single-family residence.

This is what Pierce county used to assess my track (pulled from their website link to the regulation), they came out a few times to measure everything, my track is 1/2 mile long, ave 30 ft wide, steepest slope was 70degrees. I was within regulations on everything on that list for "motor tracks" but they also assess how much dirt you move and how much land you clear and I was waaaaaay over the limit on that (they said dont do anymore work on the track without a permit, but I was already done with the track so no biggie, he said general track maintenance was ok as long as I wasnt moving alot of dirt or clearing, clearing includes removing grass). Slope measurement was for erosion/storm water drainage, I was over the limit on that due to the jumps but I built drain reservoirs for run off so they were cool with that, nothing going onto neighbors land. I also got written statements from the neighbors and sent them into the county. Have had the track for 5 years now -no probs, ride almost every weekend. Then again, theres 4 other private tracks within a mile or so of our house so the neighbors here are cool. I know this is pierce co but might help point ya in the right direction. I wouldnt get the county sniffin around though, research it without them. I only did cuz someone reported me. Hope this helps.

Those are very poorly written regulations. A maximum 2 acre track whether you have 5 acres or 500. And what if there is no residence on the property?

Here is a bunch of information on amendments they made to the Snohomish County Code regarding Motorcross tracks in 2006.

http://www.co.snohomish.wa.us/documents/Departments/PDS/Planning_Commision/2006/recletters/PCRecLtr.pdf

Here is a link to the different County code pdfs:

http://www1.co.snohomish.wa.us/County_Services/County_Code/County_Code_Collection.htm

Title 30 is the one that is referenced most in the first link:

http://www.co.snohomish.wa.us/Documents/Departments/Council/county_code/CountyCodeTitle30.pdf

From what I read it looks like it is possible to get a Conditional use permit for a private motocross track on R-5

Better to ask forgiveness than permission. You may not get forgiveness but you sure as hell won't get permission. Neighbors are what matters. Make sure you have a good relationship with them first before anything. The last thing I would do is to draw attention of the government to anything as their collective heads are so far up their asses it's pathetic..........

(1) Rural zones only;

abutting property.

How do they know how much dirt you move? Unless they have before and after pictures I can't see how they can say anything. Gotta love the government.

Greg

I would add,buy a couple rolls of silt fence and install it(correctly)around the low point of the construction. It may keep you out of trouble in the long run,and make things look official in the meantime. Perhaps it might trick passersby into thinking the man is already aware of your activities.

maybe Todd or someone in this forum might have an answer.

currently, a friend of mine is looking into building a personal use MX track in his front pasture. we were trying to find out if he needs to get a permit from snohomish county to do so, or if it was a "get the neighboors consent and call it good" type of deal.

It would be in direct view of county road, and is roughly 240'x170'ft[/quote]

This my friend, is the kiss of death............... Out of site, out of mind. Someone who doesn't like the looks of bikes will be on the phone the first day of riding and the problems will start. Good Luck, but I've seen what your doing come to a screeching halt here in NY countless times. This is happening to business' and private tracks alike. :ride:

About the country road thing....I don't know. I can name 5-7 home tracks right now in the Arlington/Marysville/Monroe area that are RIGHT next to the road. If I had land, I'd say EFF it and do it.