Sign in to follow this  

Maine Trail Riding

Riding some old grown in logging roads in Eastern Maine.

stephen king country, looks like some good riding there!

Cant say I have ever even seen him but yes he does live here part of the year now in Bangor where l live. The video is about 50 miles NE of Bangor.

Nice. Just west of Grand Lake Stream. I used to live in Machias, rode all over up in Champion Paper lands, although I never got up where you were. (didn't need to, had plenty) The favorite was the old Diamond Match road, had a river crossing and all. Great riding, and lots of it.

We have similar here in central PA (I posted lower on this page) but it has far more rocks and is more mountainous.

Thanks for posting!

Nice. Just west of Grand Lake Stream. I used to live in Machias, rode all over up in Champion Paper lands, although I never got up where you were. (didn't need to, had plenty) The favorite was the old Diamond Match road, had a river crossing and all. Great riding, and lots of it.

We have similar here in central PA (I posted lower on this page) but it has far more rocks and is more mountainous.

Thanks for posting!

Yes you're right your pictures do look somewhat similar other than the elevation changes in PA are a little more abrupt than here. You're correct about Grand Lake Stream. Actually I rode there on Sunday to have lunch. About 30 miles from our camp one way. Can you give me some idea where the Diamond Match road was? I might know it by another name now as Diamond was kind of before my time.

Yes you're right your pictures do look somewhat similar other than the elevation changes in PA are a little more abrupt than here. You're correct about Grand Lake Stream. Actually I rode there on Sunday to have lunch. About 30 miles from our camp one way. Can you give me some idea where the Diamond Match road was? I might know it by another name now as Diamond was kind of before my time.

It was actually before my time too, prior to the St Regis name for what became part of Champion. Access was very close to Rocky Lake just off 191, went cross country to Round Lake, ended up at Northfield on 192. Made for a nice loop ride. We also used to ride the area on the other side of 192 up by Wesley.if the right bridges were in, you could go in there all the way up to 9 by Beddington and 193. Very remote in the late 80s. Better not have a breakdown or anger a moose, no one would ever find you.

I accidentally came between a moose cow and calves, just got away in time. Not fun at all.

The old timers were the ones that called it the Diamond Match road. Maybe it is in the state archives somewhere. The area out on Gardiner Lake by the old MIT tech camp was great as well.that would take you to 86 and Marion and Dennysville. Tough in May-June with all the blackflies. They would lick the Bens 100 off and drain you anyway. I used to look like a dartboard when I got home.

Nice trails. Just don't stop or else you will be swept away by the black fly/skeeter rapture!!! Seen any dead moose on the trails yet?

Just starting to find some nice loops down here in central maine.

Yeah I looked pretty rough myself, the black flies were vicious. Those areas you mention are pretty similar. A popular snowmobile trip is to unload at Beddington and go up to Nicatous which is just a lake or two over from where my video is.

Saw a live moose but not any dead ones. What kind of trails are you riding and roughly where in central Maine? I live in Hampden. Only trail I have here is a practice course on my own land.

Just got back into the sport, I live just outside of Augusta. There is a pubilc ohv area called Summerhaven near Augusta. The trails are bermed, root filled, double/single track. Mostly for ATV's but its been fun for me to get back into it.

Ok, thanks. Might have to check it out.

Checked out a few videos I could find of Summerhaven. Looks like nice trails to practice on...are there enough of them to justify an hour drive to get down there for me?

Nice video man. I was just getting jaded here in the Bangor area. May have to take a trip Northeast. I used to run Stud Mill, but now they say no motorcycles? They let ATV's but no bikes? I really don't get it. Anyway, give a shout out if you see a lost DRZ400 (s), it may be me.

I have seen a few DRZ's around here. Maybe one was you. Saw one on the Sawyer Rd. in Hampden last week. Anyway I'm not sure what that "ATV's ok, dirt bikes not" thing is all about but it's never been a problem for me. There are the ATV signs everywhere and I don't see riding bikes on those trails as an issue. The ATV guys don't mind either...they are usually interested as there are so few bikes around here.